PDA

View Full Version : 5/10 Hand against Scott Fishman (sp?)

Fat Nicky
10-22-2004, 02:22 PM
For those that don't know, scott won 2 braclets this year, he regulary plays 3/6 and 5/10 on UBas 'emptyseat88'. He is the BB in this hand.

Hero has A/images/graemlins/spade.gif 9/images/graemlins/club.gif on Button.

Pre-flop:
folded to hero, hero raises, SB calls, scott calls

Flop: 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8/images/graemlins/club.gif
checked to hero, hero bets, SB folds, scott calls

Turn: J/images/graemlins/heart.gif
scott checks, hero bets, scott raises, hero????

Against a smart player, is it ok to assume that scott was trying to steal this pot because I raised from a blind stealing position???

J.R.
10-22-2004, 02:33 PM
I am putting in 2 more bets and getting to a showdown.

Brunger
10-22-2004, 02:46 PM
That was a good flop for your hand and it would be good to get to showdown. Unfortunately that was the worst card in the deck on the turn. It probably paired his JT. Perhaps it is good to check the turn and call the inevitable river bet or bet if checked to on the river.

Nate tha' Great
10-22-2004, 02:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Against a smart player, is it ok to assume that scott was trying to steal this pot because I raised from a blind stealing position???

[/ QUOTE ]

No, he probably has you beat. However, I think calling down is fine.

Brunger
10-22-2004, 02:59 PM
Nate I have been following the forum for about a month now and I really respect your posts. Would you ever check this turn or is it a must bet. Perhaps bet and fold to a raise?

DMBFan23
10-22-2004, 03:56 PM
if you know that scott knows you might be stealing, might it be best to check behind on the turn? this induces a river bluff which you can call, or you can decide what to do if checked to on the river. if he is ahead, you get to find out for 1 BB less.

passive thinking?

J.R.
10-22-2004, 04:20 PM
2nd pair is a big hand here, IMO, is vulnerable to 3 overcards and a turn bet rates to get called by lots of worse hadns given the headsup steal nature of the hand. I might consider checking here with something relatively unvulnerbale, like Ax on an a high board, but not with a pair of nines.

Fat Nicky
10-22-2004, 04:52 PM
Turn: J/images/graemlins/heart.gif
scott checks, hero bets, scott raises, hero calls

River: A/images/graemlins/club.gif
scott bets, hero raises, scott folds

glad i won the hand, but i really wanted to see what scott had.

Oh well..I really only wanted to get feedback about the turn anyways.

arkady
10-22-2004, 04:55 PM
i am surprised he still plays 5/10 after those world series wins.

J.R.
10-22-2004, 04:56 PM
who let you start posting again?

Fat Nicky
10-22-2004, 04:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i am surprised he still plays 5/10 after those world series wins.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder the same thing. He is usually at 5 tables at a time from 2-4 to 5-10 limits, Omaha and Hold Em.

arkady
10-22-2004, 04:58 PM
/images/graemlins/grin.gif miss me?

Nate tha' Great
10-22-2004, 05:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nate I have been following the forum for about a month now and I really respect your posts. Would you ever check this turn or is it a must bet. Perhaps bet and fold to a raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

The J is a bad card since it coordinates with the 98 on the board. If you think about the hands he might have called the flop with, it hits virtually all of them, either by making a pair, a straight, or an OESD. KQ, for example, if it took a card off on the flop, is not going anywhere now that it's picked up a gutshot. It might occasionally check-raise, but if it doesn't, it is going to call if you bet.

At the same time, it's also a good bluffing card for someone holding something like AT, and if he "just" has a pair, you'll oftentimes have 5 clean outs. In fact I think it's very close between calling down a check-raise and folding to it; when that is the case it usually means that you'd have liked to avoid the check-raise to begin with.

Against a known fish, I think you have to bet this for value, especially if he's loose and passive. Against a known Fischman, who needs better hands to take cards off with, it might be a good spot to check behind.

Joe Tall
10-22-2004, 05:41 PM
You game selection sucks, find a new table and, no, it's not because Fish is in the game.

Call down, btw.

Welcome to the forum and Go Sox!
-Joe Tall