PDA

View Full Version : Bad Call (Unknown Player)

nightlyraver
10-22-2004, 01:01 PM
Many people ask where they went wrong on a hand that they lost lots of chips on, but I'm gonna ask where the OTHER GUY went wrong on a hand that HE lost a bunch of chips on...

OK, so the table is $25NL, most players have around $25 give or take a few bux, and I (hero) just sat down, and posted [.50] in seat MP1 - I get dealt pocket 2's.

UTG limps, UTG+2 limps, Hero checks, Villan (CO-1) raises to $1, blinds fold and everyone else calls. 4 Players see the rainbow flop of A42 ($4.65 in the pot). The early players both check and I bet out $2. Villan raises me to $4 and the early players fold. Hero's turn to act...

(SIDE QUESTION: WHAT IS THE BEST PLAY HERE?)

I decide to call. The turn is the 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif, a complete blank, and it's my turn to act.

(SECOND SIDE QUESTION: WHAT IS THE BEST PLAY, HERE?)

I check it to Villan and he bet's out for $5. I just call and we both see the turn which is the T /images/graemlins/spade.gif. I wait a few seconds and then go all-in. I have slightly more chips than Villan. He calls and shows A /images/graemlins/spade.gifK /images/graemlins/diamond.gif and is busted out. Hero wins a $48 pot, leaves the table and goes to sleep.

Ok, so here is the real question. Was his call on the end a bad call?

Remember, I was a completely unknown player as this was my first and last hand at the table. I would imagine that he put my on a hand like A8s or something like that, and, upon my realization that he probably has me outkicked, put my bet on the end as a bluff.

*Note - I am not asking about his pre-flop play. I KNOW that his min. raise amounted to a $24 mistake; had he raised it to $3, which was the propper amount, I would have been gone and he would have won the pot.

amoeba
10-22-2004, 01:12 PM
if you are going to check raise AK on when you pair up your A on a rainbow flop, don't minraise. I would have made at least a pot sized raise.

Also minraising preflop is not the best move.

nightlyraver
10-22-2004, 02:17 PM
Villan acts after Hero so he did not check-raise, he only min. raised Hero's opening bet.

The real question was about his call on the end and not so much about his play before that....

willie24
10-22-2004, 02:35 PM
the preflop, flop, and turn play is horrible. calling on the river is right.

gergery
10-22-2004, 06:51 PM
If your question is narrowly, Should he call on river? Then mathematically the answer is simple. There is $22 in the pot plus your $15 push. He must risk a $15 call to win $37.

So does he have the better hand at least 29% of the time here (15/(15+37)? At NL25 with the wacky weak ace pushing, I’d say getting all your chips in with TPTK is EV+ more often than not, so probably good call.

--Greg