PDA

View Full Version : Need help Heads Up

rachelwxm
10-22-2004, 12:01 PM
Hi, I am resonable NL hodem SNG player but usually play poorly HP especially when we have >15bb at pokerstar.

I am generally pretty aggressive, raise 3bb with a decent stealling hands and slightly tight in calling raise from bb depending on my opponent. I will follow my raise PF with a half pot bet regardless and folding to a reraise if I do not hit flop. And if I miss the flop, usually I would mostly slow down on turn but sometimes I do fire second bet.

If I call the raise from bb, I would either try a stop and go with medium holding or check raise or bet out with top pair and check fold if miss the flop completely.

Now my question is:
1. Is there anything wrong with this scheme?
2. What's the best conterstrategy against this if you are my opponent?
3. If I do observe my opponent pick up the conterstrategy, how many hands does it take to change, and what change? Sometimes I feel I did not adjust my opponent quick enough.

Like one guy start to raise me all in before flop 2 times in 7 hands, and I fold both. 2 hands later, I call with A6 and he shows me 7s. Is this a reasonable call? I have him covered slightly with 15bb.

My aggressive play usually do very well before HP, like raise 3bb from botton and fire on the flop with one caller. But what if my opponent start to recognize this and he always call flop bet and bet to me if I check turn. It happen so many times for me to believe he always hit the flop.

Any help is appreciated. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dov
10-22-2004, 12:13 PM
What is HP?

rachelwxm
10-22-2004, 12:16 PM
heads-up I mean.

Dov
10-22-2004, 12:36 PM
I think what's wrong with your strategy is that it doesn't take the other guy into account until after you notice that he's adjusted to your play.

You can't play NL with a formula. You need to get a read on your opponent. If this is a SNG, you should have some idea of what he's like by the time it gets HU.

Does he like to gamble? Is he too tight? Does he adjust properly when the blinds go up? Does he chase longshots? Does he play any A or K as the best hand?

You need to know about your opponent because it often won't matter what your cards are. Just what his cards are.

Dov

rachelwxm
10-22-2004, 01:10 PM
Well, I am not good at picking those reads partly because I am multitabling SNG games. What are important reads? Do yo always need a show down to have a read?

Dov
10-22-2004, 01:54 PM
The easiest and best reads you get are when you are not in the pot. This is why multitabling is sometimes detrimental.

Examples of reads that idicate an underexperienced opponent are:

Calling decent raises with AQo and KQo at a full table.
Making huge bluff raises and getting lucky to survifve
Raising every hand or almost every hand
Not raising with the nuts
Min raising with the nuts into a big pot
Min raising with nothing into any pot
Always floding the blinds w/o a premium hand
Chasing long shot draws without odds (pot/implied)

There are many more, but you will miss most of them while multitabling. You may want to scale back when you get HU, or play a ring game and a SNG so you can sit out when you get HU.

DS discusses a number of errors to watch out for at the end of TOP and how to counter them. These errors will usually be more pronounced at NL.

Dov