PDA

View Full Version : WS DH Rule and David Ortiz

Lazymeatball
10-22-2004, 11:33 AM
Could anyone provide some analysis of the DH rule in the World Series and how it affects David Ortiz. From what I understand, the DH rule is in effect in Fenway, and pitchers bat in St. Louis.

So when was the last time David Ortiz put on a glove, and will the loss of Millar in the lineup hurt the Sox. Will Francona replace Ortiz with Meintkwxzyxchik in late innings with a lead?

Likewise, who will St. Louis get to add to their lineup during their trips to the HUB? And will they throw the ball at Pedro's head when he steps into the batter's box?

Clarkmeister
10-22-2004, 11:37 AM
John Mabry has been announced as the Game 1 DH.

We somehow managed to hit like 5 or 6 Astro batters, so we may throw in on Pedro, it'll just be on accident. Most of our pitchers are finesse guys.

Tyler Durden
10-22-2004, 11:39 AM
I went to an Orioles/Sox game at Camden Yards in early October and David Ortiz played first base. My friends who were Sox fans said watching Ortiz playing first is painful. He didn't make any glaring mistakes in that game, I don't think.

Francona will probably replace Ortiz with Doug M. in the late innings if the Sox have a lead.

ThaSaltCracka
10-22-2004, 11:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So when was the last time David Ortiz put on a glove, and will the loss of Millar in the lineup hurt the Sox.

[/ QUOTE ] I think so, watching this past series, Millar looked pretty good. Ortiz is nasty over there though, and I honestly expect that to be an issue.

bosoxfan
10-22-2004, 11:57 AM
Ortiz has zero range at first and throws in the dirt (which Mueller likes to do) are scary as hell when he's over there. Millar isn't a huge upgrade over Nixon's bat against right handed pitchers (I don't think the Cards have a lefty starter. Do they?) but he's a big downgrade in the feild so expect only pinch hit appearances for Millar when they are away.

Raiser
10-22-2004, 01:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think the Cards have a lefty starter. Do they?

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct. We are all right handed in the starting rotation.

Best of luck to all the Sox fans out there. I was pulling hard for you guys to crush the Empire. Hopefully we all get to see a great WS.

MrGo
10-22-2004, 02:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Best of luck to all the Sox fans out there. I was pulling hard for you guys to crush the Empire. Hopefully we all get to see a great WS.

[/ QUOTE ]

You make St. Louis fans look good. Good to see.

namknils
10-22-2004, 02:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And will they throw the ball at Pedro's head when he steps into the batter's box?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hopefully

vulturesrow
10-22-2004, 02:48 PM
A guy I am friends with hates Pedro and claims that Pedro is a P*ssy because he can throw at people without fear of retaliation. His fondest wish was for the Stros to win and watch the Rocket plunk Pedro.

kyro
10-22-2004, 02:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A guy I am friends with hates Pedro and claims that Pedro is a P*ssy because he can throw at people without fear of retaliation. His fondest wish was for the Stros to win and watch the Rocket plunk Pedro.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'd like to see that. then next inning, pedro would hit clemens. and clemens would be incredibly indignant and throw the bat at pedro because what on earth could he have done to instigate this!?!?!!!

i'm not a huge pedro fan, but i'll take petey over clemens anyday.

Boris
10-22-2004, 03:12 PM
I'm thinking about rooting for the Cardinals. I don't care which teams wins but I like the way Albert Pujols says the word "pitch". He always says bitch when he means pitch. So on TV he's like
"I'm lookin for this bitch" or "the bitch was high but I hit it anyway". Sounds real gangsta.

namknils
10-22-2004, 03:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm thinking about rooting for the Cardinals. I don't care which teams wins but I like the way Albert Pujols says the word "pitch". He always says bitch when he means pitch. So on TV he's like
"I'm lookin for this bitch" or "the bitch was high but I hit it anyway". Sounds real gangsta.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, this is histarical.

shemp
10-22-2004, 04:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pedro was a notorious head hunter with the Expos, so that theory isn't very good. Clemens on the other hand... In any case, if the Cards want to give away an out against a number nine hitter, more power to them. I think it will be tougher than one thinks, because if you are standing there with some fear of getting hit (like a pitcher might), you can get out of the way of most pitches. These guys who dig in without fear and look for something out over the plate are why pitchers need to pitch inside (and hit people).