PDA

View Full Version : Which book of theses 3?

josie_wales
10-22-2004, 11:22 AM
Hi,

For that pokernow promo, I can chose from the following books. I am NL player and have been playing for about a year, fairly succesfully. What do you recommend?

1. Internet Texas Hold'em (by Matthew Hilgar)
2. Bobby Baldwin's Winning Poker Secrets (written by Mike Caro)
3. Small Stakes Hold'em (By David Sklansky)

Thanks

JW

sammy_g
10-22-2004, 11:32 AM
PokerNow does not offer Small Stakes Hold'em (unless something has changed). They offer Sklansky on Poker.

If you're interested in learning limit hold'em, the Hilger book is good.

La Brujita
10-22-2004, 11:35 AM
The second choice is a book of anecdotes basically. Pretty entertaining but won't really improve your game.

Edit to say I just read the post below. If that is the case, consider Caro's book. It is quite underrated, I just read it for the second time and would give it a thumbs up. Mason rated it either an eight or a nine.

The only thing it is pretty short and pretty cheap so you might not get as much bang for the buck so to speak.

Best Regards

AtlBrvs4Life
10-22-2004, 11:37 AM
There are actually 4 books:

1. Internet Texas Hold'em (by Matthew Hilgar)
2. Caro's Fundamental Secrets of Winning Poker (by Mike Caro)
3. Winning Low Limit Hold'em (by Lee Jones)
4. Sklansky on Poker (by David Sklansky)

I ordered Sklansky on Poker because I already have #1 and #3. I would recommend #1 or #3. Internet Texas Hold'em is a good, solid hold'em book that is worth reading. I think Winning Low Limit Hold'em is worth a read, but I wouldn't take everything in the book as truth. Definately read Small Stakes Hold'em as well.

josie_wales
10-22-2004, 12:06 PM
It has changed

Just got the email, and those were the choices

jw

sammy_g
10-22-2004, 12:58 PM
Then get Small Stakes Hold'em. Great book! It's intended for limit players, though.

AtlBrvs4Life
10-22-2004, 02:36 PM
Must have changed sometime today, because I e-mailed them last night to request Sklansky on Poker and they replied saying that it would arrive in 2-3 weeks.