PDA

View Full Version : Which step next: $1/$2 6-max or $2/$4 10-max?

QuickLearner
10-22-2004, 09:51 AM
There have been a few posters lately that have mentioned regretting moving up rather than learning short-handed play at the $1/$2 level. I've read all the "moving up" threads I could find and was ready to just go to $2/$4 but the comments from posters make me want to ask for advice. I'm ready to move so what should my next step be?

I have over 25K hands at $1/$2 and am winning. Not KILLING, but winning. My goal is to improve. I actually think I am starting to go stale at my present level. I have a sufficient bankroll; what I don't have is a strategy for pushing myself to that next level of competence. My stats are in order, so I need to step off the curb.

So, which step would be better for my long-term improvement?

Entity
10-22-2004, 09:58 AM
From what I've heard, learning 6max is invaluable to your game. It's where I am right now, though I throw in some full ring $1/2 and $2/4 as well.

Rob

Meraxes
10-22-2004, 02:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
From what I've heard, learning 6max is invaluable to your game. It's where I am right now, though I throw in some full ring $1/2 and $2/4 as well.

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

What about it specifically is important? Just learning how to play short-handed?

Entity
10-22-2004, 03:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

What about it specifically is important? Just learning how to play short-handed?

[/ QUOTE ]
Learning how to play HU and in aggressively contested shorthanded pots is a must. It really improves your skills on hand reading and reading your opposition, as well.

Rob

Quindle
10-22-2004, 03:09 PM
1. Shorthanded you're playing more hands. If you win, you want to play more hands.

2. You can't rely on all your edge coming from being tighter than average pre-flop, because if you're too tight post-flop, you'll be destroyed.

3. So you learn aggressive play. You will be raised on the flop and occassionally the turn with nothing, and you have to spot it and re-raise.

4. Situations come up in 1/2 shorthanded that are rare at 1/2 full-handed but common at 3/6+ full-handed. e.g. You have QJo in the big-blind and everyone folds and the button raises. At microlimits it's just not going to happen that often - you'll typically have plenty of MP players calling the flop, so you're almost always going to call. But shorthanded you could reasonably reraise quite often. And that's going to come in handy at higher limits.

sfer
10-22-2004, 04:17 PM
Hey Entity, from my limited (<1000 hands) at Party 1/2 6 max, you will play about zero hands heads-up. That game is really exactly like a loose 1/2 full table where the first 4 players fold and then everyone else, and I mean everyone, limps.

helpmeout
10-22-2004, 08:16 PM
I have played very few hands at the $1/$2 6 max, I have played a bit of shorthand before though.

Shorthand really teaches you about aggression and pushing edges.

My first session I was surprised at how weak the players were, it was insane. When passive players dont push small edges you win.

For me sometimes all it took was betting the flop with nothing and they all folded. Raising preflop with any semidecent high card hand and following up even if I missed.

The fact that you play against less opponents means every small edge you have is made to seem huge.

You no longer need the best hand to win and their best hand would usually be pretty crappy in a full ring game so it is easy to get them to fold.

When you are playing a full ring game and the table suddenly gets down to only 6, but the superfish is still there what are you going to do? Dont tell me you are going to leave and find a 10 player table.

You have to learn shorthanded now, dont wait for $5/$10.

Good luck.

PuertoKid
10-23-2004, 07:06 PM
I'm with Entity--you can do both. That's what I'm doing now.