PDA

View Full Version : I hate pokerstars turbo

kurosh
10-22-2004, 09:03 AM
People keep going all-in with flush draws god damn it. What am I supposed to do? I get into the hand as a 2-1 favorite but it happens 2-3 times in one SNG and I'll usually be busted or crippled if I lose.

Ryner
10-22-2004, 09:05 AM
Well, they dont force you to play them...

rachelwxm
10-22-2004, 09:13 AM
what limit u play? Moving up might help. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

kurosh
10-22-2004, 09:25 AM
I built up my BR from $50 to ~$800, eventually playing at $20 and $30 SNG's on UB and PP. I took most of it out for my personal use and now I have ~$200 on PS that I'm using for $6 turbo SNG's. They are driving me insane. People go all-in at the drop of a hat. I keep getting reraised all-in when I have top pair and PF a lot too. I'll fold hands like AQ to reraise all-ins PF only to see them turn over KT. I don't know what to do. It seems like the couple times I DO call with AQ they have me dominated. If I play tighter, I get blinded down.

parappa
10-22-2004, 09:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I built up my BR from $50 to ~$800, eventually playing at $20 and $30 SNG's on UB and PP. I took most of it out for my personal use and now I have ~$200 on PS that I'm using for $6 turbo SNG's. They are driving me insane. People go all-in at the drop of a hat. I keep getting reraised all-in when I have top pair and PF a lot too. I'll fold hands like AQ to reraise all-ins PF only to see them turn over KT. I don't know what to do. It seems like the couple times I DO call with AQ they have me dominated. If I play tighter, I get blinded down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, that's them. I know that it doesn't seem like it, but you are still making a better ROI (percentage-wise, not in overall money terms, of course) when they play this way.

This has happened to me, and I was actually upset that I had to play much lower than I wanted to because I had drained my roll. I knew I was beating the games, but it can be frustrating playing 10 $5+1s perfectly and being ahead $8 (or behind $8!) when just yesterday you had $500 (or whatever) and were regularly posting $100 winning days, etc.

If the turbos are bothering you, it'll probably affect your ROI sooner or later. I'd suggest mixing it up with some other games--grinding it at the $6 level, you probably don't need to specialize and it'll make it more interesting.

rachelwxm
10-22-2004, 09:45 AM
If you have 30bb, folding TPTK against all in is not that bad unless you are sure put him on flush draw. But if you have 10bb, I would put money without second thought.
Also, if you are concerning about increase of blind too soon, why not play some regular SNGs although these are EXTREMELY slow! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

mackthefork
10-22-2004, 10:16 AM
I play these a lot, and I only see about 3 flop before it gets 3 handed usually, I look to have at least 60-75% of the average stack at 5 handed stage, and always try to maintain 10bbs in my stack. My opinion is that you probably play too many hands, and when you play them you don't go aggresive enough. These are not for chips wasters, AQ is a hand to push on when you get down to 12bbs or so, especially over multiple limpers, in my opinion if you never called a preflop raise you would not be far wrong, unless they go all in or put you all in obviously.

I find these much easier than Party SNGs and they only take marginally longer, most perfect one and two table format possible imo, perfect balance of time and structure.

Regards Mack

LLXC
10-22-2004, 10:29 AM
Seems like you're more successful at the non Turbo games...

silversurfer
10-22-2004, 10:53 AM
What is your bankroll? What is your ROI? Can you win at higher levels?

As others have mentioned, if you can fund a bankroll with a regular job and know/can prove you are capable of playing at higher limits, don't grind it out at a lower level.
5$+.50's will drive you insane. They are a total crapshoot full of rookies and rec. players. If you have to stay there, then take a deep breath and get used it, because it isn't going to change.

Personally, I could beat the 5$s, but got tired of the garbage. My biggest weakness is over-aggressiveness brought on by boredom, and the 5$ games are as exciting as watching grass grow in AZ. I got tired of bouncing around, so I gave myself a marginal bankroll for 10$ SnG's and forever left the 5's behind. Now my bankroll has increased steadily, and I'm already financially ready to dabble in the 20$ SnG's.

Is there a quantum skill jump? No. But you will pick up better play (not that there are any world-class players at the 10-20$ level, myself included) and the bad beats/idiots greatly decline as you step up in levels - which seemed to be your primary compaint.

kurosh
10-23-2004, 06:02 AM
A couple hands from recent SNG's

9 handed, early stages still 10/20 blinds.

2 limpers, a min-raise to 40, a few people call. SB goes all-in for 1500 into a 200 pot. BB goes all-in. Original raiser goes all-in. Everyone else folds.

SB turns over AKs, BB has A9o, Original raiser has.. K4s.

Playing 5 handed with 50/100 blinds. I have roughly 3500, other guy has 2500. I'm in BB with A9o. He's SB. Folded around to him, he completes, I raise to 300, he calls. Flop comes 2 T A rainbow. He goes all-in 2200 into a 600 pot. I think about it for a second then call (I would normally not make this call but I've learned these people are insane). He turns over T4o, no help and MHIG.

4 handed, 150/300 blinds. BB and I both have roughly 4000. I'm UTG with AA, I raise to 600. Folds to BB who min-reraises me to 900. I call. Flop comes A J 6 rainbow. He checks, I bet 900, he calls. Turn is a 7. He goes all-in for 2200. I call. He turns over 24s with none of his suit on the board.

SixgunSam
10-23-2004, 10:09 AM
If regular SnGs are too long for you and you don't like the turbo SnGs, I would recommend checking out the 6-handed SnGs. The blinds increase at standard 15 minute intervals and the game itself is usually less than an hour in duration. The structure rewards tight/aggressive play more than the turbo SnGs, IMO.

Phill S
10-23-2004, 11:02 AM
so you hate a game where people cant play, and raise all in with junk.

and this is bad?

point to bear in mind, these are the 6.5 games. whilst many may watch the WPT (and play like they see on it), no one here will be Richard Brodie, the Devilfish and Daniel Negreanu.

high variance random play is what you should expect because they no no better. its the people who go all in for 1K with nut straight into a 125 pot. they simply cant play a hand, so they hit the raise button after dragging that bar along.

sure they protect themselves by doing so, you cant bluff em when theyre all in, you cant draw on them when theyre all in, but overall your skills as a player should absolutely crush them. you pick your moments and cross those didgets. its not beautiful poker, but thats how you have to do it.

Phill