PDA

View Full Version : Recent Sat 36+3 r 3 Hands

BobboFitos
10-22-2004, 08:39 AM
Semi-recent 36+3 r satelite to the stars 200 + 15 tournament. 3 hands in particular bugged me.

Note: The compeition level was VERY high, I felt. Aside from a few people who busted immediately, and a couple who rebought right away and then busted (and did not rebuy again) midway, the players were solid. This was my first 36, as my preferred satelitte is the 3r. 32 entries I believe, 13 got the bid.

Hand 1: 100/200 blinds, 25 ante.
I'm in the big blind with KJs. I have ~4.2k. MP (who had stolen my blind, yes, from MP, 4 of the last 6 times or so) brought it up for 600. Everyone folded to me. She/he had me slightly covered. 20 people left at this point. What's my play? My play in white.

<font color="white"> Like a bitch I called, didn't hit a flop, checked, and folded. I really felt as though I should've moved in on him/her. Or folded. But I had folded everything else because I had picked up trashy hands. Anyways! </font>

Hand 2: Still 100/200 blinds, 25 ante. I have 8s UTG. Up to ~4.5k. (Had stolen the blinds, basically) I raise it to 600. I was 3rd smallest stack at the table, I was planning on folding to any raise from a larger stack. 19 left at this point. (So 6 from money) Folded to the big blind. He was the shortest stack at the table with 2.6k after posting. He moved in on me. So it was 2k for me to call a 3.5k pot or so. If I lost I'd be just under 2k, the blinds just hitting me, and about to go up to 200/400. What's my play? My play in white. <font color="white"> Once again, I folded, and felt like a moron. I sorta double-out-thought myself; play had been very solid up tothis point, and the BB would only move all in with a premium hand, knowing that I would be (almost) handcuffed to calling him. This in mind, I really felt it was much more likely I was up against an overpair, and folding wouldn't cripple me. So I did. I asked him he said AK, so I feel bad about this fold. And UTG raise, for that matter. </font>

Hand 3: Blinds are now 200/400, 25 ante. I am now ~3.2k in the CO with 8s again. MP makes it 1200. He had been somewhat tight, and very aggressive, like the other players. Now down to 16 or so, 13 (once again!) make it, but I am one of the shortest stacks. What is my play? My play in white. <font color="white"> :SIGH: I pushed... He had Jacks. I busted. Minus 111$ or so. Damnit! I hate poker.</font>
Thanks everyone in advance.

BobboFitos
10-22-2004, 11:51 AM
Yeah, so, it's been 3 hours, not a particularly long time for a post, (and no reply) but... Bumping once just in case, before this gets buried.

wjmooner
10-22-2004, 12:23 PM
Hand 1: I pansy out and call. Maybe lead out with a bet, probably check-fold like you.

Hand 2: If your read is that he is a solid player who is tight then I read this as saying you think he only makes this play with TT-AA and AK. I don't think the fold is that bad then, since you are only in good shape against AK.

Hand 3: VERY situation dependent. What is your chip position? How many chips do people from 10-16 have? Especially how many chips does the person in 13th have? At this point things are dependent on all of these factors.

If 13th place has T6000 or higher then you probably need to double up and a push might be in order.

If 13th place has T4500 then this is a fold to me. You aren't necessarily shortstacked yet, you have 8x BB still and have plenty of time to wait around for a better hand.

In most situations I fold this. I would rather be first to enter the hand raising.

WJ

BobboFitos
10-22-2004, 12:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1: I pansy out and call. Maybe lead out with a bet, probably check-fold like you.

Hand 2: If your read is that he is a solid player who is tight then I read this as saying you think he only makes this play with TT-AA and AK. I don't think the fold is that bad then, since you are only in good shape against AK.

Hand 3: VERY situation dependent. What is your chip position? How many chips do people from 10-16 have? Especially how many chips does the person in 13th have? At this point things are dependent on all of these factors.

If 13th place has T6000 or higher then you probably need to double up and a push might be in order.

If 13th place has T4500 then this is a fold to me. You aren't necessarily shortstacked yet, you have 8x BB still and have plenty of time to wait around for a better hand.

In most situations I fold this. I would rather be first to enter the hand raising.

WJ

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks WJ for responding /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hand 1 - Yeah, I thought I should move in, as he had position on me, would autobet any flop, and his steals had to be stopped. My other hands happened to be garbage in the BB, and I think a move in would've worked. But yeah, I pansied out.

Hand 2 - The only problem is the pot was laying me such a ripe price. My real question is then does he have AK or AQ enough for me to call. In retrospect I think I needed this call, because I needed chips.

Hand 3 - My chip position was literally 2nd to last or last. The average stack was 9k perhaps, and this guy was shorter, like 6k after his raise, so I felt I might get him to lay down a *few* hands because how tight I was playing / a loss on his part would make him one of the shortest. He just wound up with jacks and they were better then my hand. but I think maybe it's a fold, because as you say, I have 8x BB. Just felt like the move. I dunno.

Thanks again!

Che
10-22-2004, 02:27 PM
Bobby-

[ QUOTE ]
Semi-recent 36+3 r satelite to the stars 200 + 15 tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why even play this? You've got to qualify like 98% of the time to make a decent hourly rate.

Hand 1: If the villian will truly autobet any flop AND his bet will be close to pot-sized, you can call this preflop and check any flop, then fold when you miss the flop or push when you hit. You should win at least 2000 chips for your 400 investment when you hit (and win) so you can play hit-or-fold profitably. Pushing preflop might actually be better given your history with this player, though.

Hand 2: Tough one. If you can honestly put him on big pair/AK, fold. Given that he's the short stack and is getting desperate, it's hard to put him on a tight range of hands. Folding can't be much worse than calling, I suppose.

Hand 3: MP's chip count is very relevant here. I push if MP has an average stack. If he is very big or very small, I probably fold.

Later,
Che

BobboFitos
10-23-2004, 01:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Bobby-

[ QUOTE ]
Semi-recent 36+3 r satelite to the stars 200 + 15 tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why even play this? You've got to qualify like 98% of the time to make a decent hourly rate.

Hand 1: If the villian will truly autobet any flop AND his bet will be close to pot-sized, you can call this preflop and check any flop, then fold when you miss the flop or push when you hit. You should win at least 2000 chips for your 400 investment when you hit (and win) so you can play hit-or-fold profitably. Pushing preflop might actually be better given your history with this player, though.

Hand 2: Tough one. If you can honestly put him on big pair/AK, fold. Given that he's the short stack and is getting desperate, it's hard to put him on a tight range of hands. Folding can't be much worse than calling, I suppose.

Hand 3: MP's chip count is very relevant here. I push if MP has an average stack. If he is very big or very small, I probably fold.

Later,
Che

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks che! I figured I was going to rebuy once and add on once, so as long as I make it a little more than half the time, I'm doing ok. Kinda wanted to try this satelite, too.

1 - Yeah, I guess put in that light, calling and c/r on a good flop gets me chips in the long wrong,

2 - Yeah...

3 - He had a slightly lower than average, so I did push. I think it was ok, but I overestimated my folding equity and underestimated his actual hand, I guess!