PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of the monsters under the bed.

Peter
10-22-2004, 07:06 AM
Whenever I'm the agressor preflop and on the flop, I often get scared when I get played back at on the turn or river. Ever since I started playing shorthanded it has become less of an issue, but occasionally I still get that fear.
Is the 3bet on the river standard for all of you against an unknown?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed)

Preflop: Peter is BB with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP folds, <font color="CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, Button folds, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">Peter caps</font>, UTG calls, CO calls.

Flop: (12.40 SB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Peter bets</font>, UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Peter 3-bets</font>, CO calls.

Turn: (9.20 BB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Peter bets</font>, CO calls.

River: (11.20 BB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Peter bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Peter 3-bets</font>, CO calls.

Final Pot: 17.20 BB

Guido
10-22-2004, 07:16 AM
After showing that much aggression I would call. A bluff will fold to a 3-bet and most of the time when an unknown calls your 3-bet you are beaten. Can you fold against a cap?

Thanks,

Guido

Peter
10-22-2004, 07:23 AM
After the flop I'd put him on an overpair. If he had TT or 99 he would probably have raised the turn, so in my opinion the most logical hands for him to have were JJ-KK.
Then again, I might take the idea of getting rid of those monsters a little to far?

Peter

Guido
10-22-2004, 07:48 AM
I think an unknown could 3-bet with 77-AA, AK, AQ and maybe AJs and KQs. He could still have the same hands after the flop action. Now he just calls the turn so I don't think he has 99-KK. Most of the time these hands will pop-up on the turn again. So after the turn I would put him on 77 or 88 and he can still have AK, AQ, AJs and KQs. Now he suddenly pops up again on the river so my read on the turn was wrong or he's bluffing. When he's bluffing a 3-bet doesn't accomplish anything except that he will fold and you still don't know much about him. When he has 77, 99 or TT he will cap which you don't want either. A 3-bet is only the correct move against JJ-KK against an unknown. When you know he's loose and he might call down with AQ or AK I like it a lot more but not against an unknown.

Why would he raise TT and 99 on the turn but not JJ-KK? I don't think that's true in general.

Thanks,

Guido

kiddo
10-22-2004, 08:22 AM
If he cant beat an overpair when he raises river he is stupid: Call.

Yes, he can have a lower overpair, but normally not.

Peter
10-22-2004, 06:02 PM
Ok, I guess I'm no longer afraid of monsters and have taken that a little too far. A call would have been better.

Peter

PS: For those that would like to know, opponent had QQ and I took it down.