PDA

View Full Version : Four Suited Cards On 6th

01-27-2002, 03:16 AM
Hello,Players,

You have a big pair on 6th and make it a 1/2 bet in a spread limit game.

Your opponent raises the max with four suited cards showing. There were 3 of his suits out and he checked on 5th with three suited cards .

What would you usually do with a medium size pot?

Sitting Bull

01-27-2002, 07:25 AM
Larry,

This is one of those questions where it is very important to have a 'player description' Is this opponent creative enough to raise with just a four flush? Is he an easy read? Has he/she been playing loose or tight. Is he an itiot? Would he slowplay a MADE FLUSH on fifth? I have one more question...

Why would you bet into your opponent who held 4 suited cards with just one pair. Sounds like you got check-raised. Either way, without knowing the cards that were out and how the hand was played, I would say it is an easy fold.... unless you have a re-draw to a bigger hand.

If you bet to see if he WOULD raise, then fold.

I know it is not good to give free cards, but unless he/she is a complete moron, they had to call on fifth with something!!

It is difficult to lay a hand down on 6th street, and a lot of times it is NOT correct to do so. But recognizing the times WHEN to do it is important to successful and long-term profitable play..

Later,

CJ

P.S. - If you checked 6th. It might induce your opponent to bluff the river allowing you to pick off a bluff. ( although I would really want at least 2 pair to call here )

01-27-2002, 08:00 PM
nm

01-27-2002, 11:13 PM
I have read CJ's response and agree.

This is a spot where knowledge/control of your opponent is essential. If he won't semibluff and plays a straight forward style your bet and his raise indicates a made flush and it is an easy fold. If he is a tricky player, I would definitely check and be inclined to throw my hand away with either a big pair or middle pair.

If he was a tricky player, and I had two pair, I would check. He is going to bet and you can call with redraws and/or pick off his bluff on the river.

01-28-2002, 05:18 AM
Hello,CJ,

You raise some very important questions.

Yes,the player is creative enough to do a semi-bluff raise on 6th!

No,the other player is not a moron or an idiot!

However,he is a rather loose,passive player.

Well,anyway,I was the one who did the semi-bluff raise on 6th,hoping that my opponent would look at my cards on the board and fold.

I wasn't disappointed--he surrendeded and I took down the pot.

Sitting Bull

01-28-2002, 12:19 PM
>

Not a bad play, but some players would probably check behind you on sixth street if you were betting all the way. Many players will bet a big pair on fifth but not on sixth when you catch another flush card, so the player with the flush will often have the opportunity to take a free card and will do so.

My personal preference in this situation is to raise the flush with two pair on sixth street. If you think about it you should see why this is often a good play.

Pat

01-29-2002, 12:15 AM
The problem I see with your play is with position. In order for you to raise the flush and represent a full house is to check raise because you will have to have a pair showing and be the high board, but you said that a person without a flush might check behind you and take a free card (I think a bet comes much more frequently than a check) so you are getting the worst of both worlds. If he checks behind you give a free card, If he bets and you check raise representing a full house he almost always will call. It has been my experience that it takes a special kind of person to throw away a flush on 6th street to a raise. So you will only be called by a better hand i.e. the flush.

If he doesn't have the flush, but does have 2 medium to high pairs he calls as well.

The only positive outcome is that he throws his 4 flush away.

This semibluff costs you 2 big bets, the raise on sixth and a bet out on the river, to win the pot, and you only win the pot when he throws his hand away. I don't think you get a fold often enough on 6th street to justify the check raise. The reason I say this is that you are a 3-1 favorite if he has a 4 flush and no other draw. You are risking your 2 big bets for 25% of the pot.

I think the only time to try this play is against another above average player who is capable of connecting the dots and releasing a hand.

just my thoughts

02-01-2002, 06:00 PM
Did I understood Sitting Bull's second post correctly? Were you the one with the four-flush? A little confused.

-Zach

02-02-2002, 01:05 PM
You are not representing the full house. If you raise or checkraise then he will almost certainly check the river. You can check behind him if you do not fill. This costs you the same amount of bets as if you just called on sixth then let him bet on the river, and you have to call on the river.

What happens if you fill? Then you will bet after he checks and he will have to call. now you have made an extra bet. So unless he is very tough and will still bet the river even when raised (and a very good player might very well fold on sixth if he thought he was beat or will automatically bet on the river if he sees through your play) this is a good play since it will cost you nothing when you dont make it and will earn an extra bet when you do.

Pat