PDA

View Full Version : Free Card Play?

01-26-2002, 05:54 PM
Hello,Players!

I'm interested in comments about whether a free-card play makes sense in a spread limit game where the betting is NOT more expensive on 5th?

For example,would check-raising make sense for obtaining a free card on 5th--the betting will still be the same?

Again all comments :rich AND poor opinions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Sitting Bull

01-28-2002, 07:50 AM
Yes, I think so Larry. Obviously you gain a lot more in a split limit game, but you do achieve the purpose of getting more money in the pot in the event you make your hand on 5th, and you might get your free card if you miss.

Additionally this helps your image a lot i think. Trying to buy a free card when the price is the same is a fishy looking play. Combine this with a loud shirt and tartan pants and you are on the way to looking like a world class chump.

I think the hands to attempt this sort of play are ideally hands that can catch scare cards easily. Something like (4h4s)9sJs is perfect. If you hit your 4 you get action, and if you hit anything from a 7 to a K you look terrifying and then you can add the small spades to that as well.

01-28-2002, 03:27 PM
I agree with Mr. Peterson that this is definitely a good play used appropriately. Particularly when you're in a situation where odds demand a call to the river regardless of the next card(best off-hand example is drawing to a live 4 flush) and you're confident there won't be a re-raise. As Peterson said, if you hit your card, then you have a larger pot to take down(and which it will be harder for people to leave), if you miss then you get the free card that you, most likely, would have had to pay for. So most of the time it's no worse than even money.