PDA

View Full Version : ticket for the river?

01-25-2002, 08:58 PM
I wish to have your opinions about these hands:

1- 5-10 stud. I have 3 to a flush with NO other suited cards showing, bring-in open, 1 caller, an Ace complete the bet, I call (mistake?), 1 caller, pot three-handed.

On 4th I catch my fourth suit, an ace catch a blank (or apparently so) and so the caller.

He bets, I call and the third player folds. On 5th I don't hit my flush but all my cards are live (just one suit out). What to do? Ticket to the river?

2- I have (7-8)8 after the bring in (2 suited). I smooth call since there are 4 overcards behind me (Jack, Ace, KIng, Ten). All fold except the King who complete the bet, Ten folds. I call.

On 4th I catch a 7, King a 3 (one 3 was out). He bet, I raise, he calls. On 5th King catches a 6 and a 2 for me. KIng comes out betting.

Boards are:

(7-8)8-7-2 (ME) no two flush showing

(x-x)K-3-6 (OPPONENT) 3 and 6 suited

Ticket to the river? (assuming on 6th I don't look at a showing pair on his board)

Two hands played vs same opponent, average player, he hates very much to be bluffed but has some respect for my raises)

Thanks for any suggestion (from a general point of view)

Marco

01-25-2002, 09:01 PM
n/m

01-26-2002, 12:39 AM
On hand 1, I would raise on 5th street. It should buy you a free card on 6th and possibly the river. If you just call and catch a suited card, your opponent should throw his hand away. If you raise, you can win by catching the flush or possibly by pairing your door card or 5th street card, forcing the A's to throw a better hand away.

In hand 2, I would have thrown it away on 3rd street with all that strength behind you. On 4th your raise is correct. I would raise on 5th when he bets into you and throw my hand away if he reraises. If he calls and checks into you on 6th I would check behind assuming no improvement and call his river bet.

01-26-2002, 10:23 AM
1. In the first hand raise on third and go to the river every time since you are better than 50% to get the flush. I would play aggressively on every street here.

2. On third street this is a very marginal hand to play. I would probably toss it at 5-10. But since you played it the raise on fourth is correct. The king bets in to you after you raise which is generally bad news unless he is a tough player capable of a semibluff here. You probably should go to the river since at 5-10 players will show down some funky hands, but dont be surprised if you are beaten by K's up.

Pat

01-28-2002, 07:38 AM
Go to the river on hand number 1, but don't force anyone out with a raise. You want a volume pot so calling along is often best (mix this up a lot though).

Sometimes just calling with your 4 flush makes people less inclined to believe a flush if you make it on 5th or 6th, as they would expect you to raise with a flush buy, and they habitually raise 4 flushes themselves.

Hand 2 the mistake is made on 3rd street, and folding there would have saved you the grief you are in now.

The play of this hand all depends on how well you know your opponent, so either folding now, raising and folding if reraised, or check calling could all be correct.

You could also represent a straight with a handful of cards on 6th, so maybe calling and raising 6th is a good play.

Compare the hand to (88)7 and you have a winner that should take the pot down with a raise. And the motto of the story is don't play small split pairs with a bucketful of high cards to follow unless you have total control of the game.