PDA

View Full Version : 2 Hands - Different Lines

TazQ
10-21-2004, 10:03 PM
I exchanged hand histories with fyodor. He made comments about these two hands, what do you think?

Fyodor said the opponent was loose passive so he would bet the turn. I'm pretty sure I had a read on him because PT says he has a VP of 28% and WTSD of 26%. Obviously I check the turn because he is probably drawing to 5 outs (if I'm not behind) at the most and I don't want him to fold a weak pair. River bet can be interpreted as a bluff and he'll call with weaker hands and I protect myself from a check raise (although in this case it'd be very easy to fold since he is passive).

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP folds, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button folds, BB calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: (4.25 BB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Final Pot: 6.25 BB

2nd hand is self explanitory. Opponent is loose passive preflop.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. CO posts a blind of $10.
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP folds, CO (poster) calls, Button folds, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero (poster) 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, CO calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, CO folds.

Turn: (5.75 BB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

River: (7.75 BB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 13.75 BB

tempest7178
10-21-2004, 10:53 PM
Hand 1
If he's loose passive doesn't that mean you value bet the whole way? If he folds at showdown a lot then get the chips in before you reach showdown, or, if he only calls the river with "strong" hands then check behind the river since only a better hand will call you while worse ones will fold.

Hand 2
I'd rather bet the river and call a raise than c/r and call a 3bet. Looks like two spades or KQ got there on the river, who knows, maybe even 88.

Tempest

fyodor
10-21-2004, 11:23 PM
Hand 1) I see we have different goals. I just want to win the hand. If he folds that's fine by me. I would rather that than give him a free card to hit one of his outs and steal the pot. If instead of AQ you had KQ or QQ then giving him a free one isn't so bad. I'd still bet though. I think I'm too easy to read as a result.

Hand 2) My comment was essentially that I would have accidentally saved a bet by continuing to lead on the river and then just calling a raise. Again I am pretty straighforward and thus perhaps too easy to read. I rarely attempt a checkraise on the river unless I have been at the table for awhile with the opponent and I know him to be agro and I have recently check folded a cpl times.

fyodor
10-22-2004, 01:19 PM
Does no one else have an opinion? We have 2 players in one post looking for advice.

Should I be checking the turn in hands like the first one or should Taz be betting them?

Should I be going for more checkraises on the river or did Taz overvalue his 2nd hand here?

Get off the fence people! Straighten one of us (both of us) out.

PokerNoob
10-22-2004, 02:00 PM
Hand 1: If your opponent is behind you, why give him a free opportunity to catch up? Ok, you might induce a river call from JT here with this line, but you've lost a turn bet from everybody else who's drawing or just wants to show down a worse hand than you.

Hand 2: A bunch of draws get there on the river, but you beat a bunch of hands that would call. Bet and call a raise.

TazQ
10-22-2004, 02:11 PM
I play the way you advised almost every time, these were just two weird situations I was messing around in.

I was just hoping someone could explain the pros/cons of my thinking in hand 1.