PDA

View Full Version : A river decision... bet or check/raise?

SomethingClever
10-21-2004, 09:41 PM
No reads yet.... do you bet or check/raise this river?

My thinking was that I didn't mind too much if I bet and got raised, but I really didn't want to check/raise and get 3-bet. Thoughts?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, CO calls, Button folds, Hero calls, BB calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, CO calls, Hero calls, BB calls.

River: (10.50 BB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>.......

Final Pot: 13.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 13.50 BB, between Hero, UTG and CO.</font>

Joe Tall
10-21-2004, 09:49 PM
I don't like you flop bet, check and call. The likelyhood of this type of flop being raised here by a made hand is high. As for the river, I'd go for the c/r.

GO SOX
-Joe Tall

SomethingClever
10-21-2004, 09:56 PM
There were 5 players and I had an OESD... am I not making Sklansky bucks with this bet?

gamblore99
10-21-2004, 10:01 PM
I think is what Joe is saying is that if you bet out the flop, there is a good chance (as happened to you) that another early position player will raise you and face the field for two bets and now your not getting the callers you want to make the bet profitable.

I think it would make sense to check, and raise if a bet came from early position.

SomethingClever
10-21-2004, 10:12 PM
Okay, I see.

Anyway, how about that river?

Edit: God damn it, what is wrong with my eyes?

Thanks for the comment.

Joe Tall
10-22-2004, 12:43 AM
that another early position player will raise you and face the field for two bets and now your not getting the callers you want to make the bet profitable.

Yup.

GO SOX!
-JT