PDA

View Full Version : Is this "Fuzzy Stud Thinking ?'

01-22-2002, 04:22 PM
Is this Fuzzy Stud Thinking?

Player “G. Wiz” is playing Stud. He decides to call a one chip bring in bet, with a live pair of pocket eights (and no other significant strength to his hand).

There is no improvement in his hand with this call.

There is also no visible improvement in his opponent’s hands.

Player A, with a door 8, bets 3 chips. Players C, D, and F call the bet.

The action is now up to Mr. Wiz, who being in last position says to himself :

“G‘. I feel that this bet is worth a call for two reasons:

First: My pot odds have improved since if I call this bet, I would now be betting 3 chips in an attempt to win 19 chips.

Second: Since in my entire life I always average calling one out of every six hands, my third street call didn’t really cost me 1 chip. But it cost me rather one chip, plus the price of the antes and unplayable bring-ins that I had to pay, to catch this playable hand .

And that would amount to 1+ 3 +1 or "5" chips. So 5 chips is what it really cost me to call the one chip bring in.

Do you feel that Mr. Wiz’s deductions are logical?

And if all or part of them are examples of “Fuzzy thinking” (a term for illogical poker deductions coined in a previous millennia)

Which ones would they be? And for what reasons ?

Most Sincerely,

Doc AZ

01-22-2002, 04:37 PM
I dont know about "fuzzy" but it is certainly not good poker thinking. Bad might be a better word. ALso how can G. Wiz have a live pair of pocket eights if player A has an eight in the door??

Pat

01-22-2002, 07:56 PM
the other antes and bring ins are sunk costs, so this is a logical flaw. The other flaw is that this hand is wretched, esp. in a multi - way pot. Fuzzy is too kind a word.

01-22-2002, 08:06 PM

01-23-2002, 02:33 PM
Dear Friends,

Twice this week I have had questions, which I felt, had the potential of initiating profitable discussions by the group.

Unfortunately, because of other obligations, I didn’t have the time to properly frame them.

For that I apologize.

I have a table rule that no matter how well I am doing, if I make two mental errors during a game I go home and take a rest.

So having made my two errors I am going to take a break.

Your Friend,

“The real” Doc

Ps. Where is Lin Sherman? I miss her excellent posts. Someone out there must know her personally.

So please find her and tell her that “We know that she has been busy doing well in Poker tournaments, but Doc said “she has an obligation to the family who loves her.

And she needs to get back to her key board! Also let her know that there is a new Stud forum.

Otherwise she might end up posting in Omaha-Caribbean hell, all by herself for eternity.

01-26-2002, 05:46 PM