PDA

View Full Version : 2 overpair hands

Nottom
10-21-2004, 08:32 PM
A couple overpair hands I didn't feel comforatble with.

Hand 1:
Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP with 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG caps</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (9.40 SB) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.70 BB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (11.70 BB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 12.70 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 11.70 BB, won by UTG.</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: 1 BB, returned to UTG.</font>

Hand 2:
Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP caps</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

Flop: (13 SB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">MP bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, MP calls.

Turn: (8.50 BB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
MP checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (12.50 BB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">MP bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 14.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 14.50 BB, between MP and Hero.</font>

jrobb83
10-21-2004, 09:11 PM
I was UTG in hand 1. I'll hold off on commenting on it since I obviously know what I had. I doubt Nottom knew I was a 2+2er since my Party screen name is much different.

DrGutshot
10-21-2004, 09:17 PM
reads?

Hand 2 I call down everytime against an unkown. Hand 1 I would call down if I had seen any hints of over-aggresion, otherwise I would fold to the turn C/R when I'm playing well, call it and the river bet when I'm playing badly.

-DrG

Nottom
10-21-2004, 11:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
reads?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, Hand 1 is against a solid player (apparently a 2+2er even /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Hand 2 was against a typicalish loose party player, not particularly LAGgy.

Also, I had basically already made my river decisions on the turn in both cases so the fact that they were Aces didn't really factor into my decision.

DrGutshot
10-22-2004, 12:33 AM
Thanks for the reads -

I am only confused a little about hand 1. Why did you call the turn if you were folding to a river bet? I doubt he'd check the river no matter what the card if he was solid. I don't think a solid player would C/R anything on that turn that doesn't have you beat.

Hand 2 is painful but I think it's pretty standard, I play it the same.

-DrG

Rakkad
10-22-2004, 01:57 AM
I agree, if you are going to call the turn raise, you have to call the river bet.

ALL1N
10-22-2004, 04:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why did you call the turn if you were folding to a river bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because he had 6 clean outs.

I would check behind on this turn.

DrGutshot
10-22-2004, 04:28 AM
I am blind and did not notice his outs - I think ALLIN is right in checking behind the turn and...calling a river bet? I wouldn't be able to lay this down to a bet on the river after showing such weakness on the turn.

-DrG

imitation
10-22-2004, 04:31 AM
Hand 1 check behind on the turn I think, you could probably fold the river unimproved against a solid player almost...

Hand 2 I call it down but that turn CR is scary, on a less co-ord board maybe you could lay down the turn CR, but it could be a flush semibluff, hard to imagine a cap with a hand with a 4 in it though....

Nottom
10-22-2004, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the thought on these. In retrospect, my turn bet is pretty bad in hand 1 since i have to call the checkraise. If I check behind here does the fact that the river is an A affect me river decision at all?

In hand 2, there are a lot of players I think I can lay this down on the turn to pretty easy. After playing with this guy a bit more, I think he was one of them but I guess against an unknown my play was fine.

Dov
10-22-2004, 12:21 PM
I think if you check behind on the turn, you are less likely to get bet into when the A comes on the river unless your opponent has it.

I think you can figure that you've been outdrawn against a typical opponent, but if you have a read that says he's likely to bet any scare card, then you need to call.

Additionally, you need to call if he will bet the river no matter what when you check the turn.

Just my 2 cents.

Dov

jrobb83
10-22-2004, 03:17 PM
I think you have to check behind the turn and call a river bet in hand 1. I was getting too tricky for my own good here. I had KK. I've been experimenting with check-raising more turns after I've put in the last aggressive action on the flop. It happened to work here, but if you hadn't picked up the gutshot you would have folded correctly, and I would have missed a BB.

I still like my move, just not against someone who can lay down a hand to the turn check-raise. Do you call the river if it is not specifically an A?

Nemesis
10-22-2004, 05:02 PM
Take the free turn card and call the river bet no matter what comes.

Nottom
10-22-2004, 11:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I still like my move, just not against someone who can lay down a hand to the turn check-raise. Do you call the river if it is not specifically an A?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I was folding if it wasn't an 8 or 9.

If I have TT, I lay it down on the turn.