PDA

View Full Version : Was this a terrible call?

craiga_uk
10-21-2004, 08:07 PM
The perp, who won the pot, was quite LA-A and was doing well as the table was tight and people we're wimping out.
I hadn't hit much all night, and so my judgement was possibly clouded when making this call, but I didn't consider him having a 3 as he wasn't quite that loose.
I figured if I caught an A or J that I would have him beat, or at least split the pot - and obviously catching a /images/graemlins/diamond.gif would be payday.

(Sorry for the format - BisonBisons converter doesn't work with Crypto logs):

Game #171635904: Texas Hold'em No Limit ($0.50/$1) - 2004/10/21 - 23:45:40 (GMT)
Table "Stoughton" Seat 3 is the button.
Seat 1: Thythe ($24.50 in chips)
Seat 2: Lamoor ($36.25 in chips)
Seat 3: Gamebot ($190.50 in chips)
Seat 4: Confused2 ($43.50 in chips)
Seat 5: Jamiesd ($208.50 in chips)
Seat 6: Craiga_uk ($63.50 in chips)
Seat 7: jim_clark ($56.50 in chips)
Seat 8: honey15 ($104 in chips)
Seat 9: wigglebum ($114.25 in chips)
Seat 10: Al7777 ($62 in chips)
Confused2: posts small blind $0.50
Jamiesd: posts big blind $1
----- HOLE CARDS -----
dealt to Craiga_uk [Jd Ad]
Craiga_uk: raises to $4
jim_clark: calls $4
honey15: folds
wigglebum: folds
Al7777: folds
Thythe: folds
Lamoor: folds
Gamebot: folds
Confused2: folds
Jamiesd: calls $3
----- FLOP ----- [9c 2d 3h]
Jamiesd: bets $2
Craiga_uk: calls $2
jim_clark: raises to $4
Jamiesd: calls $2
Craiga_uk: calls $2
----- TURN ----- [9c 2d 3h][3d]
Jamiesd: bets $200.50 and is all-in
Craiga_uk: is all-in $55.50
jim_clark: is all-in $48.50
Returned uncalled bets $145 to Jamiesd
----- RIVER ----- [9c 2d 3h 3d][8h]
----- SHOW DOWN -----
Jamiesd: shows [8c Ah] (Two Pairs, Eights and Threes, Ace high)
Craiga_uk: shows [Jd Ad] (A Pair of Threes, Ace high)
jim_clark: shows [6s 6d] (Two Pairs, Sixs and Threes, Nine high)
Jamiesd collected $14 from Side pot
Jamiesd collected $167 from Main pot
----- SUMMARY -----
Total pot $184 Main pot $167 Side pot $14 | Rake $3
Board [9c 2d 3h 3d 8h]
Seat 1: Thythe folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: Lamoor folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: Gamebot (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 4: Confused2 (small blind) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: Jamiesd (big blind) showed [8c Ah] and won ($181) with Two Pairs, Eights and Threes, Ace high
Seat 8: honey15 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 9: wigglebum folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 10: Al7777 folded before Flop (didn't bet)

turkkito
10-21-2004, 08:39 PM
Yes it was a terrible call, at best you have 15 outs (and just because you here had, doesn't mean you usually have). The pot was only $24 after the flop and you called $55.50 on the turn... that should have been an easy fold. I don't like your preflop raise either, AJs is not very strong hand, especially out of position.

gytten
10-21-2004, 09:19 PM
my god, I've been out-drawn by ppl like you all day...

first of all, don't raise with AJs... esp. not in a fullring game and in early POS.

you are raised $2 on the flop into a $11 pot.. you have 2 overcards.. well, a call could be made I guess.

the turn pairs the board and gives you a 9 outer flushdraw. Someone goes all-in... you do realize he is representing a fullhouse right? so if you beleave him none of your outs are live... if you don't beleave he has the boat, ok, 9 outs with 1 card to come.

If you accually beleave that you can get an Ace or a Jack to win the pot... (you think he just has a pair or overpair not higher than Tens) you have about ~31% chance of winning the pot.

the pot is $23 and he puts you all-in for $55.50 ... what are you even thinking about? ever heard of pot-odds?

the answer to your question is: YES ITS A TERRIBLE CALL. If you keep playing like that you'll soon be all out of money /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

bunky9590
10-21-2004, 09:26 PM
Yep. It was also a terrible raise Preflop. Keep the pot small out of position with AJs. Hit a hand before you go nuts.

Always Rockets
10-21-2004, 11:23 PM
Wow what a horriffic call....
You do have alot of out but you are committing all of your chips KNOWING YOURE BEHIND!!!!

...and one more thing- A-J is NOT a good hand especially in early position!

craiga_uk
10-22-2004, 04:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Wow what a horriffic call....
You do have alot of out but you are committing all of your chips KNOWING YOURE BEHIND!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmmm, I realise that my call was terrible - I knew that when it took me 20 secs to call, and then regret it the second I did it. I'm not usually THIS fishy - I was on tilt from the fact I'd not had hardly anything all night, and the time I flopped a nice set of 9's no-one hit anything, giving me a small pot.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like your preflop raise either, AJs is not very strong hand, especially out of position.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason I preflop raised this was to try and limit the field - I didn't really fancy my chances limping in. I guess this was bad play?

Looking at this again this morning, I can't believe I called. I feel a complete prat, and I'm nicely out of pocket too. At least I've learned a poker lesson though - get off the table if you're not getting results, before you do something silly.

On another note, why is AJs so bad? Because it's dominated by AQ, AK, AA?

bunky9590
10-22-2004, 07:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
On another note, why is AJs so bad? Because it's dominated by AQ, AK, AA?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not only that, but raising with AJs, you usualyy only get called by hands that beat you (i.e strong enough to call a raise or reraise) and encourages the hands you beat to fold. Plus the will have position on you 9 times out of 10 if you raise there in EP.

Raising AJ in EP is a limit thing.

craiga_uk
10-22-2004, 08:17 AM
(Costly) lesson learned.
It annoys me that I thought I was actually getting pretty good, then I go and do something silly like that. Now I'm more determined to up my game to win it back. :-)

Thanks Bunky!

schwza
10-22-2004, 03:23 PM
at the risk of beating a dead horse, it's especially bad b/c if somebody has a boat, you're drawing dead.

el_grande
10-22-2004, 07:52 PM
At first I thought you had JJ and was thinking your call depended on the players. But then when I started reading responses I noticed it was just an overcard flush draw. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Limp preflop and don't make that massive call!