PDA

View Full Version : Everybody's favorite hand

Ponks
10-21-2004, 07:11 PM
Alright, I'm not sure about my river play here. I kinda liked it, but I'm not sure. My thinking was I might've counterfeited his 2 pair (It's not his most likely holding, but I was planning on check/calling anyways) and he might check behind the river. I think there is virtually no chance he would raise a worse hand then me. So how's this line?? No reads (multitabling) on anyone really, they're just average party players. No one stands out as a manaic or LAG.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (12 SB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB folds, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (12 BB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP3 checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls, MP3 calls.

River: (15 BB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero folds, MP3 calls.

Final Pot: 20 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 20 BB, between MP3 and Button.</font>

vegasvegas
10-21-2004, 07:31 PM
Tough to say without any reads on the guy. From his betting action, it looks like the board greatly improved his hand.As well as two pair, he might have flopped trips or a straight.
I probably would have checked the river to him and called his bet (but then , I'm always too passive &lt;g&gt;).

Alobar
10-21-2004, 07:37 PM
The king on the river shouldnt change your plan any. Its VERY unlikely he cold called your PFR with any holding that would give him two pair, there is no flush draw to be pumping, so either hes overplaying A8 or he flopped a set or the straight, or could have something like 99 or TT maybe.

I dont like the river play, you have no reason to suspect he isnt betting his hand again, so a bet realyl does absolutely nothing for you, except asked to be raised. He may even raise with a worse hand because your bet looks dubious. If you had any hand a king helped you would have given him action on the turn.

I think a better line would be to bet the turn, and fold to a raise.

Derek in NYC
10-21-2004, 07:51 PM
Yuck I dont like this at all. First, the button can't have two pair, because you're saying he called 2 with complete trash. Much more likely from this betting pattern is that he made a loose call with a pocket pair and flopped a set. (I also think it is unlikely that he called with a connector and flopped a str8.)

Leading out on the river was terrible also. You're sort of representing 3 kings (assuming you played AK overly aggressively on the flop). So what does this do for you? Now if he can beat AK, you're going to get raised. If he can't beat AK, you're unlikely to get any money from him. Check calling the river would have been much better.

Then the third thing I dont like is folding to a single raise. The pot is huge by this point, so you pretty much have to call 1 bet even if you're beat. Additionally, betting then folding may get this guy thinking he can run all over you on future hands.

I dont like the play at all.

private joker
10-21-2004, 08:55 PM
I probably would have check-called the river as well, but I can see where the Hero is coming from -- it's quite clear he's behind, given that the MP player is a calling station by the river. Button most likely has him beat, but if he doesn't then MP does. True that he's getting 16:1 to call the river bet, but does he have more than an 8% chance of beating both the button *and* the MP? It's questionable.

gamblore99
10-21-2004, 09:07 PM
it cost the same to call as it does to bet (though Mp might raise). And it definitely looks like your behind given his action and the board. though I like alobars line the best, of betting the turn and folding to a raise.

Ponks
10-21-2004, 10:54 PM
Yah afterwards looking back at the hand, I definitely thought of that. I was going to suggest that in my post too, damn. Oh well. I figured someone would say it, but I just wanted to confirm it. Thanks guys, sometimes you need a little kick like this. I've been playing really good since I moved back down to 3/6 but I wasnt sure about this hand, I really shoulda saved a BB. I didnt expect him to fold a better hand at all, I just thought since I got to the river this would be better then check/calling. I thought there was no way he would raise a better hand.

Ponks

TripleH68
10-21-2004, 11:30 PM
Looks like he has a made hand. I don't see the point of a river bet here if you plan on folding to a raise?