PDA

View Full Version : Pockets eights and paired flop.

MoDOH
10-21-2004, 07:08 PM
Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed)

Button is a decent player with reasonable raising standards, a little too loose postflop though. UTG+2 is unknown...

I checked on the flop with the intention of checkrasing the button but once UTG+2 bet I decided to just call instead.

What is your default play on a hand and flop like this and what are you doing on the turn?

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif.
Hero calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB folds, BB folds, Hero calls, UTG+2 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (9.33 SB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, CO folds, Button calls, Hero calls.

private joker
10-21-2004, 08:17 PM
I still think you check-raise. Odds are you have the best hand because the button was the preflop raiser and he just called the bet. I put him on two overcards. UTG+2 could have anything -- either a 3 or overcards, or a pair smaller than yours. Check-raise this, and if UTG+2 3-bets, then seriously consider dumping the hand because if he has a 9 you're drawing to 2 outs.

But actually, my default play is that when I have a mid pocket pair and the board pairs unscarily (meaning, not like KK or QQ), I bet out. I probably have the best hand, so it's a value bet; no need for tricky check-raising.