PDA

View Full Version : What's my river play(NL)?

Inthacup
10-21-2004, 05:30 PM
Hi all,

I'm not all that good at NL and would like some opinions on this river play. We're on level 1

I have A /images/graemlins/spade.gifK /images/graemlins/club.gif in EP. UTG limps, I raise to 50, button calls, UTG calls.

Flop: J /images/graemlins/spade.gif10 /images/graemlins/spade.gif2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

UTG checks, I bet 75, button folds, UTG calls.

Turn: 10 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

UTG checks, I check

River: 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

UTG bets the pot(~275)

What's my river play and how did I do so far?

Cup

AceFace
10-21-2004, 06:15 PM
Do you know anything about your opponent?

Are you worried about him limping w/ JTs or any T utg, making a full boat ?

Otherwise, his check on the turn seems to indicate being on a draw (weakness). Wouldn't he bet his made non-nut flush if he had it? Wouldn't he bet his T-trips fearing the flush draw out there?

You didn't mention the buy-in for this Sng, but if it was low $, you could assume the other player was loose and might've caught a lower flush.

Against such a player I'd raise big on the river. Your check on the turn might've lead him to believe you were weak and had just taken a stab on the flop.

Otherwise simply call.

How did it turn out in the end?

leykis
10-21-2004, 06:46 PM
At first glance I agreed with the above poster and I probably would have pushed if I played this hand in a low buy in SnG. But then I cant see your opponent making the pot sized river bet with a hand that you beat. I could see your opponent playing 22 this way except I cant see him slowplaying on the coordinated flop. With just trips, the river bet of this size does not make sense to me after the 4th spade fell unless maybe he has K10 with the K of spades. I would call especially if this is a 10+1 or similar SnG. I just dont think I could lay this down.

Inthacup
10-21-2004, 06:47 PM
It was a 200 SnG. First level and we were about even and I have never played against this player before.

Cup

La Brujita
10-21-2004, 07:25 PM
I think you played the hand very well fwiw. I think the correct play against an unknown opponent is a flat call. JJ, TT,22, and JT are not incredibly unlikely hands for him to hold. He may have the Ks or Qs, but I don't think you find enough value betting there.

Here is a link to an AK hand I posted where I improved on the river but made a huge mistake by betting because worse hands would not call enough to make it worth a value bet. In other respects the hands are dissimilar.

I botched this river (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=tourn&Number=1094275&Forum =,,All_Forums,,&Words=&Searchpage=1&Limit=25&Main= 1093206&Search=true&where=&Name=3844&daterange=&ne werval=&newertype=&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=# Post1094275)

BradleyT
10-21-2004, 07:37 PM
I doubt he has a FH because he needs to sell you the pot - especially after you both checked the turn indicating weakness.

I'd probably put in a raise here 90% of the time.

lorinda
10-21-2004, 07:51 PM
Deleted.

Posting whilst not paying attention.

Lori

AceFace
10-21-2004, 07:56 PM
That's why I 'd only raise here if I knew my opponent was LAG.

B00T
10-22-2004, 02:01 PM
In regards to your play throughout...

I would raise preflop a little bit higher. Probably 75 or 80. The stacks are 1500 there right? Party? 50 is just asking for suited connectors to bust you or cheaply made set of trips. Granted the suited connectors wouldnt do much here, but a pocket pair would that boated would.

I throw the 3BB raise rule out the window the first couple of levels.

wjmooner
10-22-2004, 02:22 PM
Call and it isn't even close. Folding is not an option, since you have an A high flush on a relatively unscary board, but the board is paired, so anyone with a set has a full house.

There is only one worse hand (K high flush) that will pay off any raise. Not even trip 10's will call a raise on a 4 flush board. I don't think lower flushes will call any raises either.

On the other hand, a raise will never get a better hand to fold (JJ, 77, 22, JT, 89spades) so it is better to just call.

Chris

leykis
10-22-2004, 02:34 PM
After further thought I too think the only play here is to call. If you raised, you will only get a call from a better hand, in fact you will probably get a push from a better hand. On the other hand you cant fold the nut flush here to that bet. So a call is the only play that makes sense. Although if you called I think he probably showed you 22 and took it down. I just dont see him making the bet he made on that river with a worse hand.

Results?

_2000Flushes
10-24-2004, 02:01 AM
Wha happuned?

-2kF

Ian J
10-25-2004, 12:25 AM
Cup,

I think this is a call. A raise opens you up to go broke when you don't need to. Plus, any raise is very seldom going to be called unless you're far behind.