PDA

View Full Version : A couple of AQ flop decisions

mack848
10-21-2004, 05:15 PM
Having trouble with, amongst others, AQ when the flop misses. In the first hand I have overcards and a backdoor straight draw in a big pot. In the second, overcards and backdoor nut flush and straight draws. I assume that many outs are tainted in both.
I am sure I should be laying down more when I miss flops with this sort of starting hand - but what about these?

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="CC3333">MP1 caps</font>, Hero calls, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (20.50 SB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero?

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls, BB folds, Hero calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, SB calls, Hero ?

meep_42
10-21-2004, 05:20 PM
#1 - Call and hope to pick up a draw. No Q, A, K, or J and I check/fold the turn.

#2 - Call, you're still on a draw and out of position to the pf raiser. Pick up a heart, A, or Q on the turn. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

-d

davelin
10-21-2004, 05:23 PM
Am I weak-tight for thinking about folding AQo when it's 2 bets to me?

scandal
10-21-2004, 05:27 PM
Cold-calling 2 bets to you with AQo is usually fine. Re-raising is questionable unless you're pretty sure you can get people to fold behind you who would call 2 cold, but not 3.

Piiop
10-21-2004, 05:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Cold-calling 2 bets to you with AQo is usually fine

[/ QUOTE ]

No, no, no. Cold-calling is NOT fine.

You should usually fold AQ to a preflop raise, unless you know the PFR is very loose with his raising hands. If that's the case, you should 3-bet.

There are only a few situations where cold-calling a preflop raise is acceptable. If there is a raise by the player directly on your right, I would always fold or 3-bet. When you cold-call, you want more callers inbetween you and the preflop raiser so that your relative position isn't so terrible. You also want a strong hand that plays well multiway. With AQo, you have no flush possibility and only 1 straight possibility, so you're playing this hand for only TPTK value. It's likely you're dominated by the preflop raiser.