PDA

View Full Version : To raise, or not to raise? That is the question.

01-16-2002, 11:31 PM
7 stud 8. Bringin is the 2d on my immediate left. I have (Ac2c)4c. The 8s, Kd, Jh and Qc all call the bringin (which is very strange to have so many high cards in). The Jd, and 8d are all folded.

Should i raise here for value? I decided to as with such live cards i am almost certainly going to 5th street regardless of what i catch on 4th. The bringin folded, and the others all called.

4th street i catch a very pretty looking 5c. However, the Qc on my right catches the Qh and bets right out.

Here i am at somewhat of a quandry. The 8s caught a 7h which could make a raise look like I am trying to knock him out to be the only low hand, however this runs a big risk or forcing the Kd9s to fold, and probably the JhTh as well (although he is more likely drawing and liked his 4th street card).

What would you do and do you think it makes a huge difference either way? Remember that only one club and 3 low cards (i don't need the 2d) are exposed, and all aces and 3s are live.

If you just call on 4th whats the play on 5th, given that you can either make a lock low, or make the flush, or catch a banana?

01-17-2002, 12:28 AM
3rd st is a definite raise; it's a fantastic situation to be making opponents put money in the pot after calling once.

On 4th st you caught as good as you could hope for. Here, I think you have to suck some value out of this one and - eeek - slowplay (hope the 2+2 aficionados don't chastise me too much for that).

This hand is so good that I'd play so as to build as large a pot as possible, regardless of the number of players involved.

On 5th st it depends on the 4th st action and the cards but, almost regardless, you're still in a great position vs an 87 and some high looking hands, so you may then want to take charge and get chips in the pot, even if you bricked.

G

01-18-2002, 04:44 PM
Mr. P,

That is a dream hand. 3rd St: raise, all high cards and an 8. Reraise if it comes back around.

4th street: call to bring the others in.

I am guessing that you caught 3 more bricks and watched the 3c and 6c land in your opponents boards. If you are wondering if you should have raised so that you caught them, don't. You have lots of outs for a scoop of the whole pot.

5th St: if you catch, Jam, else call to the river.

Just My Humble Opinion

KeithO