PDA

View Full Version : Canterbury $400+40 tournament 11/7

BigBaitsim (milo)
10-21-2004, 03:43 PM
I'll be in MN that weekend and am wondering if any of you Minnesotans can share some info on the Canterbury tourneys. Questions include: Are they well run? Do the players suck? Do they have any satellites?

This and any other info you can provide would be helpful. I've never entered a tourney costing more than $150, and am a little anxious. I play a fairly tight style, more suited to slow escalation than a few of the rapid-fire low buy-in tourneys in Vegas. That having been said, I will now brag unabashedly. I skipped all but one of these rapid-fire deals, an Imperial Palace tourney that started at midnight and had rounds that moved so fast that each orbit brought a higher blind. I took three rebuys, but won (okay, chopped) at about 4:00 am. Difference is, that one was only $40+5 with $20 rebuys.

tek
10-21-2004, 04:46 PM
The tournaments are well run. Some player are good and some suck.

If you are only going to be in town for the $400, I would play it for the experience.

The $200 tournaments are better because more people play and it costs half as much.

Good luck and enjoy the free one-trip buffet dinner.

whiskeytown
10-21-2004, 05:02 PM
I think the $400 tourney may be the only one that never sells out...LOL - last one had only 40 or so people and only paid 5 spots....but that was right after the Fall Classic - I'm sure a lot of busted bankrolls after that.

GL on it tho...I'll be working till 7am Sun, so no way I'll make it.

here's the structure.

http://www.canterburypark.com/cardclub/Tournaments/$40040%20NLHE_page2.pdf

RB

Andy B
10-22-2004, 02:58 PM
Forty bucks in juice and you think that that buffet is free?

Andy B
10-22-2004, 03:02 PM
I think that Canterbury does a good job running their tournaments. I avoid them, because I don't like lines, tax forms, or playing ten- or eleven-handed. Oh, and I suck at tournaments. I currently play in a home game on Sunday, so I won't be there, except perhaps to get money out of my box.

No satellites. Forty-minute rounds, so you get a decent amount of play. The high buy-in tends to weed out a lot of the weaker players. A good player still has to have an overlay.

MaGi
10-22-2004, 05:31 PM
I hate the tournaments, the blinds increase extremely fast and it is often 11 handed.

Lots of players suck, the side games are great, I cant tell you about satellites as after I played my first tournament there have avoided them since.

Holm Fries
10-22-2004, 09:35 PM
The ring games are so profitable that I have a hard time tearing myself away for a tourney. It is nice for a change of pace, but I can't imagine winning more over the long run as compared to a live game.

tek
10-23-2004, 09:00 AM
I guess I should have italicized the word free to make the sarcasm obvious. /images/graemlins/blush.gif