PDA

View Full Version : Berate me for this (over?)play out of the BB?

BluffBlank
10-21-2004, 01:04 PM
Alright, I made this play the other night in a PP $20 + $2 sit'n'go. Let me know what you think of my play at each step, and I'll try and explain my reasoning.

blinds at T25/T50
Hero [~T1200] is in BB with Jh8h

5 limpers, SB folds, Hero checks (woohoo free flop with suited two-gapper)

(pot: T325)
Flop: 7h 5h 3d
Hero bets T180
-a semi-bluff here, figuring that flop couldn't hit any of the limpers, unless they hit a set, in which case I could get out to a big reraise. 180 seems sort of small now, looking back, but it is more than 1/2 the pot, and about 20 - 25% of most people's stack.

1 caller, 4 folds

(pot: T785)
Turn: 8s
Hero bets T400
Is this a good card for me? I think it is. I now have top pair, a decent flush draw, and I figured the caller could easily have A7 or overcards, or a flush draw.

Villan raises All-in (~T600 more and has Hero covered)

The pot is now 585 + 400 + 400 + 570 = 1955, laying me about 3.5:1 odds. I am a bit worried he was slow playing a larger pocket pair, but if thats the case then all of my flush outs, the 2 8's and the 3 J's are probably good outs for me, giving me 14 outs and about a 30% chance to win, so I called. Folding here would leave me with about T500, fairly short stacked with the blinds raising so fast in the PP Sit'n'Gos. Results are really unimportant, but are in white if anywan wants to know.
<font color="white">
Villian had 99, River: 8 giving me a set and the pot
</font>

I may have overplayed this a bit in the beginning to get committed to the pot, what do you all think?

-Bluff

ChrisV
10-21-2004, 11:48 PM
You are better off checkraising allin on the flop. People are more likely to fold and when they do you are going to win more. If it checks around you don't really care. No hand kills you except a set - you're still 47% to win vs something like 8c 8s.

If you bet small, you're going to get called and won't know what to do when you miss on the turn. If you bet large, you'll be more or less pot committed on the turn anyway.

SmileyEH
10-21-2004, 11:57 PM
this is a beautiful flop. Definite check raise all in. If it gets checked be happy with the free card.

-SmileyEH