PDA

View Full Version : Facing an overbet on the river.

Chaostracize
10-21-2004, 11:44 AM
First hand of a $20 multi. Stacks at 1000. A /images/graemlins/heart.gif K /images/graemlins/club.gif in MP. UTG limps, I make a standard raise to 45. Limper calls.

Flop comes T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q /images/graemlins/club.gif 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif.

Check, check.

8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif.

Check, check.

J /images/graemlins/club.gif.

Villain bets 325 in the 125 pot. What's your move?

Cleveland Guy
10-21-2004, 11:50 AM
What is the starting stack size?

I think that makes a big decision in your call.

If we are starting with 1500, I will still have 1100 chips left, and would call in a second.

If it's less chips, like 800 or 1,000 I might throw this away with a flush on the board.

Not having a read on the player I don't think you can raise here.

krille
10-21-2004, 11:50 AM
Pretty interesting... So the question is does he have a flush, a king, or big slick? I would think that he has big slick as well, and is hoping for a call from possibly a single king in your hand.

I would just call and split the pot.

Che
10-21-2004, 12:24 PM
Chaostricize-

Why didn't you bet the flop? You are the preflop raiser, and you have 7-10 outs most of the time if called.

The turn is a scare card so you could have bet it given that you did not bet the flop.

Since you didn't bet the flop or turn, there is no way to narrow the opponent's range of hands so I would just call.

If you raise, it should be allin and if he calls you are beat most of the time. Folding is bad since the odds of a single opponent hitting a flush are small.

Later,
Che

betgo
10-21-2004, 03:42 PM
I would call. I definately wouldn't raise, because you are going to be called by the flush. With the overbet, your opponent is either bluffing with nothing or he has a big hand. There are a lot of big hands he could have besides the flush and your nut straight. I think there is a good chance he has the flush, but I would call anyway.