PDA

View Full Version : Small Stakes Probability/Odds Question: Calling a Raise from the BB

poboys
10-21-2004, 11:18 AM
Long intro, but trying to document my thought process so that smarter people (than me) can comment.

While playing in a typical PP game (4-6 see the flop many times for 2 sb) I found myself in the sb and bb with a couple of limpers a raiser and the action is to me. I hold drawing hands (suited, connectors, suited connectors) that I would love to see a flop-for-free, but wouldn't normally play. My general rule was to not call a raise from the bb with a hand I normally wouldn't limp with... I've also read over and over again that pot odds don't drive smart decisions pre-flop EV does.

Yet I could not believe some of the odds I was getting in a very loose, multi-way game. So, rather than quickly post something up asking for advice, I searched this forum and found nothing. I then referenced the following:

Pr(4-flush|2-suited) = 0.1178
Pr(4-straight|2-connected) = .1028
Pr(4-flush and/or 4-straight|2-suited-connected) = .1910.

So, assuming that you will have the correct odds to draw out, if you hit your flop, I converted these probabilities to pot odds...

Suited->7.49:1
Connected->8.73:1
Suited&Connected->4.24:1

It seems like the implied odds are also strong for these hands, and if the pot is giving the correct odds pre-flop, should't I be throwing one more bet into see the flop?

Comments? Am I missing an obvious point? Reference posts?

JoshuaD
10-21-2004, 06:22 PM
I don't make these calls because I don't like being out of position with a draw. I like to be acting near the button with a draw, so I can make a free card play if I want to.

jayrutz2
10-21-2004, 07:24 PM
But a check to the pre-flop raiser puts you in PERFECT position to CR the flop if you do hit!

JoshuaD
10-22-2004, 02:19 AM
Unless you're getting alot of callers along with the PF raisers bet, there aren't very many hands you're gonna wanan check raise with here.