PDA

View Full Version : KT against aggressive player

stinkypete
10-21-2004, 08:59 AM
The villain has only raised preflop once in 30 hands, but is very aggressive post-flop.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, SB folds, BB folds, Hero calls.

given his pre-flop stats, i really don't like the 3-bet. i'm planning to check-fold if i miss the flop.

Flop: (7.50 SB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

aargh. i don't know what to do here. i think i would have preferred to miss. in hindsight, i think i should have check-raised and folded to a 3-bet.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

poop.

River: (6.75 BB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

i suck.

Final Pot: 8.75 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 8.75 BB, between Hero and Button.</font>

Rico Suave
10-21-2004, 09:02 AM
Stinkypete:

I think you played this one fine. I often go ahead and lead the river, but if you think this opponent is capable of raising with a worse hand on the river, than I think a check / call is fine.

--Rico

stinkypete
10-21-2004, 09:11 AM
i made 3 crying calls. there must be a better way.

Rico Suave
10-21-2004, 09:27 AM
Stinkypete:

If you start showing aggression, it is very possible, in this HU situation that one of three bad things can happen.
1. You raise and let him get away from AQ, JJ, TT etc. You make the minimum when this happens
2. You raise and he plays back at you with a worse hands (as aggressive players in HU situations often do) and you fold. Yuck.
3. You raise and he plays back at you with a better hand, you do not believe him so then decide to call him down. You lose the maximum.

The up side to aggression is that you make more if he decides to play with a worse hand. But I do not think this will be the case as often as the above.

--Rico

Edit:

I did leave out another upside to aggression. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif If he is playing back with a better hand and you fold, you most likely save some $. Of course, for an extra BB you can call him down, get a chance to improve on the river, and very often pick up the pot unimproved.

realbad101
10-21-2004, 09:37 AM
Taking a different tack but coming to the same conclusion...
Easy open raise with KT. No problem pre-flop.
Flop - You must feel you are behind, but have 2 backdoor draws, plus at best a dominated pair. Call a bet and see if you improve.
Turn - You now have a spade draw. Easy call.
River - Ok you didn't improve. After going this far it's hard not to make the crying call on the river. Is he on a bluff 1 in 7 times. Probably not. Was he on draw? AJ? maybe, doubt it. Cry away...

TheHip41
10-21-2004, 10:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Flop - You must feel you are behind, but have 2 backdoor draws, plus at best a dominated pair. Call a bet and see if you improve.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?? He has TP/MK There is no law that says this guy has AK, KQ, AA, or KK. I would 3-bet a CO steal raise with all sorts of trash. Like 66-AA, Ak-AT, maybe some suited broadways. You have to get off the auto call mode.

You flop top pair, either bet out or c/r. Check call tells you nothing. On the turn, you now have top pair and a monster flush draw. Do something other than check call. On the river, you missed everything, but since you have no clue where you stand, check call is the way to go.

It's hands like this that make your aggression rating go way down.

You flop top pair HU and didn't bet once. That's all I'm sayin

stinkypete
10-21-2004, 10:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]

It's hands like this that make your aggression rating go way down.

[/ QUOTE ]

i know. it's getting embarrassingly low.

i just played a hand where i rivered a set with jacks, having an overpair all the way, and i called the river against a flop check-raiser. i put him on a flopped straight.

i need balls.

it must be the sore throat.

Fat Nicky
10-21-2004, 10:33 AM
Pre-flop: Fine

Flop: Bet into the 3-better and be prepared to call a raise.

Turn: You have 2nd nut flush draw, gotta call a bet.

River: I think getting 7-1 warrants a call that it show +EV in the long run.

TheHip41
10-21-2004, 10:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i need balls.

it must be the sore throat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are there balls in your throat? Is that uncomfortable?

/images/graemlins/grin.gif