PDA

View Full Version : Get out on the turn -- or too weak?

RocketManJames
10-21-2004, 01:29 AM
I'm trying the mid-limit games again, and this hand came up. Not sure if I played it as I should have, or if anyone would have dumped the hand on the turn or river, or played it differently on any street. Without further ado, here's the hand in question. You can tell who wins already...

Online 10/20 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Yank is UTG+2 with 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG <font color="purple">(Sox)</font> calls, UTG+1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Yank raises</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG <font color="purple">(Sox)</font> calls.

Flop: (5.50 SB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Sox bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Yank raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Sox 3-bets</font>, Yank calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Sox bets</font>, Yank calls.

River: (7.75 BB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Sox bets</font>, Yank calls.

Final Pot: 9.75 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 9.75 BB, between Yank and Sox.</font>

-RMJ

PinkyRingo
10-21-2004, 04:25 PM
I don't see anything wrong with your play. I'd cap the flop quite often here, and call down the turn and river if opponent continues to bet into me. Plenty of 10/20 PP players will play a spade four-flush like this.

But then again, what do I know. Hopefully someone with better credentials will respond as well.

hockey1
10-21-2004, 04:31 PM
Given the betting, I think there's a pretty good chance you're behind by the turn. Even if you're ahead, you're facing significant reverse implied odds. Small pot. Fold.

JasonP530
10-22-2004, 05:05 AM
Bet the turn, and check fold the river? If he has enough to bet the river, you cant win, and there are only a handfull of bluffing spade hands that didnt get there in one way or another.

DeeJ
10-22-2004, 05:33 AM
For default play with no reads, this is your usual "am I behind to top pair" choice. I still haven't resolved this to my satisfaction as to whether to carry on and call down or fold (most of the time) at the turn. Obviously you can't fold all the time because then you'll be an easy bluff target. But should one call down 25/50/75/100% of the time? I don't know.

I both won and lost 99 last night in similar situations.

ChrisW
10-22-2004, 10:56 PM
I would not want to fold the turn here. There are already five big bets in the pot, and it's an extremely attractive semi-bluff if he has big suited spade connectors without the ace, since he might be able to win by hitting one of his cards on the river if I call him on the turn.

Depending on my opponent, I'd consider raising the turn. That way, if he's semi-bluffing with suited connectors, I charge him for the privilege. Of course, if he's the type of player who might reraise the turn with e.g. KQs, I can't risk it. I think typical players would slow down without aces or better after I raise the turn, so I could safely fold if he reraises, having given away approximately 1/3 of a big bet in equity by losing a chance to spike my 9 on the river. If he has two spades king through ten, my turn raise gains me approximately 1/3 of a big bet in equity, and I think that I will gain more often than I will lose.

RocketManJames
10-24-2004, 04:03 AM
Well, he had a lot of outs on the flop against me... he had A6o.

Seems that there wasn't a strong concensus on what I should have done. I guess I'll put this one in the "depends on opponent" category. I had no read at the time of the play.

Thanks for your opinions.

-RMJ