PDA

View Full Version : Terry Francona

MrSoul
10-21-2004, 12:42 AM
We Phillies' fans are absolutely stunned that this stiff is the manager of the American League champions.

nolanfan34
10-21-2004, 12:44 AM
All I know is, after these past 4 games, no one in Boston can criticize him for a long, long time.

Well, or, at least until the first game of the World Series.

andyfox
10-21-2004, 01:00 AM
There's a chance Phil Garner will be the NL champ. Hell, Bob Brenly won it all one year.

Toro
10-21-2004, 07:55 AM
I've been on this guy all year, even occasionally /images/graemlins/smile.gif, calling him Francoma, but my hats off to him, he managed his asss off in both playoff series, leaving no bullets in the gun. Only move that I really hated was bringing in Pedro last night but no harm no foul.

mistrpug
10-21-2004, 08:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
We Phillies' fans are absolutely stunned that this stiff is the manager of the American League champions.

[/ QUOTE ]

At least he was better than Bowa.

Rushmore
10-21-2004, 09:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Only move that I really hated was bringing in Pedro last night

[/ QUOTE ]

You beat me to it.

Cons:
--Your starter looks like he's got another inning or two in him.
--Martinez is a perfect way to get the crowd back into the game, which they did, of course.
--He's not rested.
--This appearance will simply tire him more.

Pros:
--Uh, he might possibly pitch as well as the starter had been?

Duh.

2planka
10-21-2004, 10:30 AM
I didn't like it either, but:

-Lowe was on short rest,
-the game was a laugher,
-the pen got active right away,
-Pedro seemed to pull himself out of his funk. His first few fastballs were topping out at 87-89, but he seemed to realize where he was after the runs scored and he bumped it up to 93-96. Maybe he needed a confidence builder... who knows.

Four wins away.

sam h
10-21-2004, 10:52 AM
I didn't like the Pedro move either, but Francona managed circles around Torre this series.

I guess that wasn't too hard, since Torre didn't really do anything. But Francona made all the right moves in games 4-6, both with the pitching staff and with the tactical decisions on offense. Now if only he could teach these guys how to bunt...

Toro
10-21-2004, 11:05 AM
Bunt? Nah, let em hit homeruns!

tripdad
10-21-2004, 11:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Francona managed circles around Torre this series.

[/ QUOTE ]

not a difficult task out-managing the most overrated manager in the history of MLB.

cheers!

texaspimp
10-21-2004, 02:33 PM
Most overated manager in history?!?!!?

ANYONE who can sit next to Don Zimmer for X years and smell his old A$$ can't be overated.

Yankee hater! I'll bet your a Bonds fan too!

ThaSaltCracka
10-21-2004, 02:38 PM
right......

tripdad
10-21-2004, 10:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Most overated manager in history?!?!!?

ANYONE who can sit next to Don Zimmer for X years and smell his old A$$ can't be overated.

Yankee hater! I'll bet your a Bonds fan too!

[/ QUOTE ]

spell mutch?

cheers!