PDA

View Full Version : Party 2/4: KQo UTG+1

zram21
10-20-2004, 10:21 PM
Pretty typical loose passive table. The BB in this hand is loose passive as well.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero has K /images/graemlins/club.gif Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif and is UTG+1
1 fold, Hero raises, 5 folds, BB calls.

Flop: (4.5 sb) 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif (2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets, BB calls.

Turn: (3.25 BB) Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif (2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets, BB raises, Hero re-raises, BB caps, Hero calls.

River: (11.25 BB) K /images/graemlins/heart.gif (2 players)
BB bets, Hero raises, BB calls.

Final Pot: 13.25 BB

I am most curious about my turn and river plays. Is 3 betting the turn and raising the river here standard?

jtr
10-20-2004, 10:34 PM
If it's 8-handed and you're UTG+1, that puts you into middle position, right? Which makes the preflop raise uncontroversial. Anyway, not important.

I like the turn bet obviously, but when the passive guy springs a raise on you here, after calling the river, I am thinking that this is his idea of an intelligent way to play a set. Either that or he's got Q8 or some nonsense. So I wouldn't have 3-bet him here.

I guess you have to raise this river, although what would you have done if he'd 3-bet you? It seems to me that a showdown is inevitable, nobody's folding, and as we're now heads-up, the bet odds you get on further chips going in are only 1:1. (Sorry for stating the obvious.) This means you need to be confident he was only on two pair more than 50% of the time for your river aggression to be good. What do you think? What hands did you put him on at the time?

bernie
10-21-2004, 01:32 AM
When he, a passive, wakes up and c/r me on the turn, im just calling down now. Even with my rivered 2 pair. It smells too much like a set. If it turns out that it isn't, i'll file it away and remember it for next time.

Given the fact a passive capped the turn, i'm definitely not raising this river.

b

zram21
10-21-2004, 01:51 AM
On the turn I guess I was under the impression that even passive players may check-raise if they hit top pair on the turn. I had decided that if he capped then I was probably behind to either a set or two pair and that a set was more likely.

However when the K came on the river for soem reason I decided two pair was more likely and that the K saved me. My plan if he 3 bet was to make the crying call knowing I was very likely beat.

zram21
10-21-2004, 01:53 AM
Thanks for the responses guys.

BB shows (2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif)

MHING.

Clearly I need to be more catious when a known passive player comes to life. Thanks again.