PDA

View Full Version : bad call?

bjap
10-20-2004, 06:58 PM
I was playing at PP $100 buy-in NL and was in the small blind with QQ , 2 limpers in middle position and I raised it up to 3 BB , BB folds, first limper folds and second limper puts all his chips in( he had about $140 and I had about $100).

I hadn't been at the table very long , but this guy had raised me off of a couple hands earlier and my read on him was that he was LAG, I didn't think he would limp with AA or KK so I felt my Q's were good , I also thought that he may think that he could run over me again , so I called his all in. I caught a Q on the turn and when the cards were revealed at the end of the hand he did indeed have AA.

All comments appreciated. I was obviously wrong about him limping with AA.

Ron

Ghazban
10-20-2004, 07:29 PM
If he's a real LAG, this is an insta-call. There are only 2 hands you're behind and the range of hands a real LAG will push with includes far more than just these 2. If a rock did it, you'd be crazy to call.

amoeba
10-21-2004, 10:14 AM
Hes doing the limp reraise all in move with AA.But yes, tough spot to be in. I would have probably folded but maybe I'm too weak tight.

Zag
10-21-2004, 12:21 PM
Unless his earlier over-aggressiveness included several wild overbet all-ins, I would fold this instantly. If this is the first time his aggressiveness took this form, then fold quickly.

Sephus
10-21-2004, 01:37 PM
people limp with AA just so they can get in this exact situation. i don't see how a call can possibly be good often enough here.

nightlyraver
10-21-2004, 02:20 PM
In MOST situations, you are certainly correct. At these stakes, I have seem a number of players limp with AA and hope to get a raise so they can re-raise. You lucked out when you hit the set, but personally I would have folded unless I have a really good reason not to. If you think about it, most players, save the real LAG's, only would go all-in pre-flop with AA,KK and maybe QQ or AK - once you split twice your dominated and once you got a coin flip. Even if you were sure he had AK, I don't think there is really enough in the pot to risk the whole stack on a coin flip. I mean, seriously - if I said to you "I'll bet you $100 that the coin is heads" you probably wouldn't bite. What you want w/ QQ is a LAG who will go all-in with JJ,TT,99,AQ,AJ. Here, completely dominate 3 and you are a 3:1 favorite against 2. Now, even assuming that you KNEW he had AQ or AJ it's more like "I'll bet you $100 that when I role this 8-sided die it'll land on 7 or 8." That's a great bet!

Zag
10-21-2004, 03:33 PM
Nerd Alert!!! When you mention 8-sided dice, you might as well just come out and admit that you are a Dungeons and Dragons nerd.

P.S. I'll bet I own more non-cube dice than you. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

amoeba
10-21-2004, 04:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nerd Alert!!! When you mention 8-sided dice, you might as well just come out and admit that you are a Dungeons and Dragons nerd.

P.S. I'll bet I own more non-cube dice than you. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

lol,

Longswords do d8 damage.

bjap
10-21-2004, 05:00 PM
I appreciate all the responses , I should have folded , I just didn't want him to think he could continuously push me off my hands but I should have waited for a better spot. For what it's worth on the very next hand he immediately went all in with his remaining chips , about $40 , lost and left , I did not get to see his cards but it looked a lot like tilt to me. Again thanks to all who responded.

Ron

Zag
10-21-2004, 05:28 PM
By the way, good for you for questioning your play on hands you won. Too many people attribute wins to brilliance and losses to luck. Remember this one the next time you get viciously sucked out on.

nightlyraver
10-21-2004, 11:13 PM
Ha ha ha ha - I was really waiting for a post like that.

Seriously, I was only very slightly into DnD back in the day - some of my friends were REALLY into it. I actually don't own any non-cube dice. Why did I type it? Well, first I wrote the thing about the coin and then I tried drawing a comparison with a die, but realized that you actually can't illustrate 3:1 on a regular die - so I used the D8 example.

P.S. I did remember the long sword doing 1D8 damage. But does anyone remember how much damage a helbeard did?