PDA

View Full Version : QJo on the button

Aces McGee
10-20-2004, 03:14 PM
Party $5/$10 This is a hand my friend played. We've discussed the flop action and haven't come to a definitive conclusion as to the best line. I think we've seen value in all three possibilities.

My friend is a pretty good player and probably has the table image of one.

There is a poster in the CO.

UTG and UTG+1 both call, folded to the poster in the CO who checks, and our hero calls on the button with the Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Both blinds come along, so it's six to the flop:

Flop is J /images/graemlins/club.gif T /images/graemlins/heart.gif 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif

SB checks, BB checks, <font color="red"> UTG bets </font> , UTG+1 folds, and the <font color="red"> CO raises </font>.

What's my friend's action?

If fold, why?

If call, what's your plan for the turn?

If raise, what happens if CO caps? What's your plan for the turn?

EDIT: What, if anything, might change your answer?

Thanks in advance.

-McGee

Aces McGee
10-21-2004, 08:44 AM
Giving this another chance. 2+2, my friend is counting on you.

-McGee

Festus22
10-21-2004, 08:55 AM
What makes this tough is that the CO was a poster so he obviously can have any 2 cards. If we think "normally", a raise by the CO with 3 players left to act does not signify a draw unless it's with overcards in which case he may have raised PF. So I would put him on a made hand at this point. So just how good is it? Again, no way to know. But also given the fact that the board is pretty coordinated with plenty of straight and flush draws of which your friend has none, I'd say fold.

You may already be behind, you have slim chances to improve, there's a ton a possible draws lurking and the pot isn't that big.

Quindle
10-21-2004, 09:03 AM
You don't want to see an A, a K, a T, a 9, a 7, or a club on the turn.

Or the river.

Avoid all the above, and you could still be behind. So you fold.

jtr
10-21-2004, 09:04 AM
I'm not sure it's a call preflop, and I'd fold on the flop. I agree with Festus that CO could be on a wide range of hands here; flush draw is possible, but even if we put him on that it would be unrealistic not to put one of the other guys on a jack. And there will definitely be straight draws out there. Seems like a lot of cards to dodge in a reverse implied odds situation. The pot is not yet big. Fold.

crockett
10-21-2004, 10:31 AM
Fold.

CO posted, your not last to act, the board is very draw heavy, there are two high cards on the flop, your kicker is marginal and the pot is small. I can't think any more but I'm sure I'm missing some.

Fat Nicky
10-21-2004, 10:53 AM
The consensus so far seems to be to fold, but lets look at the options:

1. Fold - seems like the logical thing to do. You're facing 2 bets. There are too many cards that could come on the turn that would be horrible for your hand, including a Q. You could be re-raised if you call or 3-bet.

2. Call - Not sure it I like this line, but if you call (and it doesn't get 3-bet), I think you need to bet out on the turn if a blank falls.

3. 3-bet - The advantages of this is that maybe UTG folds for 2 more bets and if you're re-raised, you're now know you're likely behind.

After all this, 'fold' is the best option for the simple fact that there are too many cards on the turn that are terrible for you hand. The pot is not yet too big, so I don't think it's worth putting in any extra bets.

private joker
10-21-2004, 04:11 PM
I'll add one more to the chorus of Fold. I'd have raised the flop bet, but once that CO raises it before I get the chance, I'm worried. You have the third best kicker for TP, the board is coordinated, a K or A hurts you (but you get redraws), and even if you hit your Q kicker, a straight is on the board. Not knowing if you're ahead or behind at this point, I'd be even more scared about a blank hitting than a big card. Pot is 9 small bets when it gets to you, of which you've put in 1. I don't call 2 more with this action. Get out, friend of Aces McGee.