PDA

View Full Version : Moving from $5+1 to $10+1 NL on Party?

Mjonasson
10-20-2004, 03:13 PM
Im thinking about moving up to $10+1 lvl on Party SNG NL Holdem(from $5+1). Now im getting about even on $5+1, maybe some +1$/h(getting better and better) after playing about 15-20 tournaments. Now im get to the bubble most of the time and from there most of the time finishing as 3rd or winner(almost never 2nd place). My BR is about $170. Is it a good idea to lvl up with this small BR? Is it a big difference between playars at $5/$10?

//MJonasson

Bigwig
10-20-2004, 03:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Im thinking about moving up to $10+1 lvl on Party SNG NL Holdem(from $5+1). Now im getting about even on $5+1, maybe some +1$/h(getting better and better) after playing about 15-20 tournaments. Now im get to the bubble most of the time and from there most of the time finishing as 3rd or winner(almost never 2nd place). My BR is about $170. Is it a good idea to lvl up with this small BR? Is it a big difference between playars at $5/$10?

//MJonasson

[/ QUOTE ]

Move up or go to Stars where the juice on a $5 tourney is only 10%. That 20% is killer.

Marcotte
10-20-2004, 03:28 PM
You don't say if you've been lurking here for a while, but the fact that you've found this site puts you ahead of most players at both levels. From what I've read here, the quality of players is roughly even. Your small bankroll is a concern, but the decrease in vig should increase your ROI. (Of course, with only 20 SNGs under your belt, you have no idea of know what your true ROI is, so you may in fact be a losing player).

That said, I would move up. The 20% vig is a killer. Study Aleo's FAQ, read this board for at least an hour for every SNG you play, and post hands that give you trouble (ie you're not sure what to do, or if you made the right play, regardless of results.) for discussion. Your other option is moving to a site with $5+.50s.

(Oh, and buy and read and re-read Tournament Poker for Advanced Players by Sklansky.)

FishBurger
10-20-2004, 03:34 PM
You bankroll seems a little low to me. It would be better to have $200 to $300 before you move exclusivly to $10 + 1.

However, you could certainly take a shot at a few $10+1s. When I decided to move from $5 to $10, I didn't do it all at once. What I did was basically take a shot at one $10 SNG for every 2 or 3 $5 SNGs I played. I'm not sure if the play is much different at the $10s, but I found that I made more stupid mistakes at the tens by psyching myself out.

Moving to Stars might be an option, but it is a totally different game than Party. At Stars you will start with 1500 chips as opposed to the 800 at Party.

One other thing I would suggest is to play your first $10+1s between the hours of 6 and 12 PM Eastern Time. There are more players online at those times and the tables are easier to beat.

AleoMagus
10-20-2004, 03:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That said, I would move up. The 20% vig is a killer. Study Aleo's FAQ, read this board for at least an hour for every SNG you play, and post hands that give you trouble (ie you're not sure what to do, or if you made the right play, regardless of results.) for discussion. Your other option is moving to a site with $5+.50s.

[/ QUOTE ]

Moving up is also what I'd do. I myself wasted far too much time at the 5+1s before I figured out what a waste they are. If you are winning player, then your risk of ruin will be pretty small with even 15 buy-ins. If nothing else, it will be good experience if you do lose it all. The players are only slightly better and at that level.

If $170 is very very important to you and you can't easily replace it then moving to stars is a better idea. If you do go to stars, the $6+.50 turbos might make you more for your money will and it will seem a lot more like the 20 or so that you've already played.

It's Tim's FAQ actually, but my guide on how to beat the party 10+1 is there. That guide is a good though I highly recommend reading both threads, and think paying attention to the discussion which follows is very important so that you see how good players may vary in their approach and when.

This forum is currently the mecca of SNG knowledge so you can't go too wrong reading and studying here.

This site is also excellent

Partypoker Strategy Guide (http://teamfu.freeshell.org/)

Regards
Brad S

Mjonasson
10-20-2004, 04:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What I did was basically take a shot at one $10 SNG for every 2 or 3 $5 SNGs I played.

[/ QUOTE ]

Think I'll try this tip with a modification: to play a $10 I must get top3 in last $5 tournament, otherwise play another $5. Some kind of tilt-protection I guess. Thanks for your advice /images/graemlins/smile.gif

//Mjonasson

Marcotte
10-20-2004, 04:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

It's Tim's FAQ actually, but my guide on how to beat the party 10+1 is there.

Regards
Brad S

[/ QUOTE ]

My apologies to Tim. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

housenuts
10-20-2004, 06:35 PM
there is no difference in skill between 5 and 10.

just remember when you move up to 10 to play your same game. don't change your style. most players get tighter and scared when they jump a level. i do too, but you gotta overcome that. just play your game. don't give the players any more respect because they are no better than the $5 players.

bweiser8311962
10-20-2004, 09:17 PM
No offense, but if you're only "getting even" at $5s don't move up yet. You're not ready. That and your bankroll should keep you at $5. I did the same thing. I had a winning run through the $5s for 3 weeks or so, so I decided to move up. I barely was breaking even, up a very small percent at the $10s and went on a losing streak of 4 or so with some bad beats thrown in (pocket 10s vs. pocket 8s is the one that still ticks me off the most. he hit an 8 on the river after going all-in ... i called his all-in sensing weakness and i was right.)

anyway, back to your subject ... since moving back to the $5s, I've played 5, won 2, finished third once and out of the money twice. if i can keep that up another 50 tournaments, then I MIGHT move back up. but my bankroll is under $150 due to some withdrawals and i can't take a 4-tournament losing streak.

good luck

housenuts
10-21-2004, 02:09 AM
fair enough. you might want to move up if you're only breaking even at the $5. but you should at least move sites. you don't want to be paying 5+1 when you can be paying 5+.50

Baked67
10-21-2004, 09:15 AM
Although my opinion might not be as valid as some others for the fact that I dont play at Party Poker, I say you should take some stabs at the ten dollar tables. I started out with a small amount to play with and took stabs at the tens whenever my bank roll got above 150 bucks...it payed off, I play the tens full time now and am about to stab at the 20's with a healthy bank roll around 400 bucks and a profit of 1,000 dollars over the last month or so(there was a MTT win in there too). There isn't a big difference in skill level at Pokerroom.com so I can only assume that the difference at PP is even less. Play a few and if you dont get the desired results, just drop back down...