PDA

View Full Version : How should I have played this hand? (new poster--please help)

tomscuba
10-20-2004, 02:51 PM
Last 35 in NL event, I (not hero, yet) am short stacked 4500, average is 13000, blinds are 400/800, 2 agressive stacks at the table. I am (correctly??) looking for a hand to move all in with. I have exellent read on player to my left and know he doesn´t like his cards enough to play them, all fold to my small blind I plan to steal his BB with any 2 cards. Pick up A-6suited. What is my play?

Bigwig
10-20-2004, 03:08 PM
All-in.

Cleveland Guy
10-20-2004, 03:08 PM
PUSH ALL IN. As you said he will probably fold, and you get a few more chips for your next push.

You can't limp, cause you don't want to give him a free shot to hit something. A min raise might give him odds to hit and call. and if he leads out are you going to fold then?

If he calls you, your A6 is slightly better than a random hand, so you still have a fair shot of taking down the pot.

A general rule, is if you are going to raise with less than 10xBB - just push all in

Bernas
10-20-2004, 03:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am (correctly??) looking for a hand to move all in with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that is correct. When you are short stacked you are trying to choose a hand and situation where you have the best chance of winning if you get called. A6 is a good hand in this situation. You push all in. If he wakes up with a hand and calls you then that is bad luck but it is still the right play I believe.

tomscuba
10-20-2004, 03:16 PM
Thank you. Your answer confirmed my belief--though I was shaky about it. If I´m on the button am I correct that this is a fold/all in decision?

Cleveland Guy
10-20-2004, 03:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thank you. Your answer confirmed my belief--though I was shaky about it. If I´m on the button am I correct that this is a fold/all in decision?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a fold or all in desciion from any positiion at the table.

For me it's a fold from any position earlier than CO.

It's all in if I'm first to act from CO, Button or SB.

It's a fold to any raise ahead of me if I'm in one of those positions.

tomscuba
10-20-2004, 03:40 PM
Assuming I´m first to act, is there a general rule for the Kicker when going in with an ace(or King)? 9 or higher? Does suited factor in? From middle position or later if first in?
Thanks for the help.

Bigwig
10-20-2004, 03:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Assuming I´m first to act, is there a general rule for the Kicker when going in with an ace(or King)? 9 or higher? Does suited factor in? From middle position or later if first in?
Thanks for the help.

[/ QUOTE ]

This depends on position and if there are players or raisers in the pot. If someone raised from EP, for example, not only is your A6 likely a huge dog, but there's a good chance your AJ is, too. A6 is a bad hand to be calling or reraising all-in almost all of the time, especially when you won't have any fold equity with that size of a stack.

Don't worry about suited when going all-in. Suited is something to consider in muli-way pots. You're getting an extra 2% or so edge against random hands by being suited. Not much of a deciding factor.

In the SB, in your situation (no one else in the pot/stack size), I would push with any A, and K with an average kicker (7 or more), any two paint, and any pair. Those blinds are important to you. It buys you an extra orbit to get a 'big' hand. Do not be too concerned with what you're up against should you get a call. You don't always want one.

SossMan
10-20-2004, 03:52 PM
You say you were planning on moving in on any 2? How should an Ace deter you from that plan? Go ahead and push for value/stealing/whatever

tomscuba
10-20-2004, 03:57 PM
After 2 days of solid/tight play (300 entrants)--I got greedy. thought it might be worth more than the blind. Fatal flaw. new it when he called. Bugging me for 3 days--hence the weak post.

tomscuba
10-20-2004, 04:00 PM
When he called post flop. Flop was 2-6-8 rainbow--after which i moved in.

binions
10-20-2004, 04:09 PM
You could go all in with 72 off here. The worst thing you can do with A6 or any hand except maybe AA is let the BB see the flop for less than full price.