PDA

View Full Version : Play money SNG experiment

poopyhead151
10-20-2004, 01:37 PM
I used to play Party's $10+1 NLHE SNGs quite frequently and I consider myself a decent tournament player, but decided to try the NL ring games for a while and busted out. I guess the tournament life is more for me, but nonetheless, my money sitution keeps me from playing at the moment.

To keep myself occupied (and in my unquenchable thirst for poker action), I've been playing the $10 play money SNGs. I've noticed that there's a post every once in a while about how play money tables compare to the $5+1 and $10+1 SNGs and I was wondering if anybody would be interested in a little experiment.

I would play 100 $10 play money NLHE SNGs (4-tabling probably) and post the results (ROI, ITM%, avg finish, etc.) whenever I get around to finishing, which would probably be in about 2 or 3 weeks.

Would anyone be interested in the results of this experiment?

DCIAce
10-20-2004, 01:46 PM
I'm pretty sure that you can't multi-table play money games.

Also, when I was new to PP, and testing out the site, I remember the 2 play money SnGs I played as being horrible.. I wouldn't be surprised if a decent player could post an 80%+ ROI

Cleveland Guy
10-20-2004, 01:59 PM
I think if you fold the first 6 hands you'll beat half the field every time.

poopyhead151
10-20-2004, 02:03 PM
I'm positive that you can multi-table in the play money games.

I'm also positive that the results would be comical.

But still.

Bobby Cannoli
10-20-2004, 03:24 PM
New Poster, recent lurker, love these boards!

Anyway, with that out of the way, here's the background:

New to poker/holdem/etc in January. In the intervening 10 months, I have become a slightly above average low-limit player (I beat $0.50-1.00 regularly, $1-2 mostly, not too well at $2-4 yet, place top 10% in MTTs about 1 in 6 times (no final tables yet), and ITM in $5 STTs about 40% of the time). That's now. I played a lot of the Party play money SnGs back in March-May, when I was considerably worse than I am now (haven't played any since then). Here's the results:

217 Party play money $10+1 SnGs played.
67% ITM
85% ROI
14.5% firsts

If that was me 6 months ago, you guys would crush these to the point of hilarity!

As a side note, I also kept track of what hand # various positions got eliminated, and calculated how many hands you would last just auto-folding, and basically, if the players didn't notice you were auto-folding, you have about a 50% chance of taking 3rd!

Bobby

AleoMagus
10-20-2004, 04:01 PM
lol. That's actually very interesting info (well, to me anyways. I didn't say terribly useful, just interesting)

Welcome to the forums. The fact that you actually documented 217 play money SNGs and the average hand on which the bubble ended before playing for real money means you might fit in here.

Regards
Brad S