PDA

View Full Version : Buliding A Bankroll Question

DONTUSETHIS
10-20-2004, 01:03 PM
I play off of about a 2-3k bankroll now and my goal is to bulid it to 25-30k when for when i finish all of my college to possible use as a partial income later in life, but mostly for the enjoyment of the game. Now I play anything from 1-2,2-4, 3-6, and NL up to 1-2 amd some multis. Do you guys think it is better to move up to higher games when your bankroll allows or play more hands ( multi tables) at lower limits you can beat easily so that you Br continues to grow. Any advice from you guys out there as the best way you think to do it, or how you did it? Is there games you should stay away from becuase of varience levels ( MTT or others) or is it good to try to take a big shot now and again. Let me know what you guys think.

Nikla
10-20-2004, 02:08 PM
Multitable fixed limit (4-8 tables). Once you feel you're crushing one particular limit, move up a notch. Rinse n repeat.

Best regards

fnord_too
10-20-2004, 02:13 PM
I think moving up when you can is the way to go, but at the level you play, try to multi-table.

There are many reasons for moving up, but probably one of the biggest is the reduced relative rake. The rake at the lower levels is just brutal compared to the size of the pots.

The other thing is of course the bet size. In my oppinion, the level of play does not go up at nearly the rate the levels go up. In fact, I think the variance of the games goes up a lot more than the expectation goes down. (That is, I don't think you give up to much in terms of BB/100 going from say 5/10 to 10/20 short handed, though there is a learning curve and you have to adjust your play considerably. However, the fluctuations go way up, which is important to consider.)

As to what games, that is really a question of taste and talent. I tend to play a lot of types of games and a lot of tournies. If you are multi-tabling, I think you really need to stick to flop games. If you go the single table route, I think stud games provide a greater skill gap. Also, I think stud games have a higher BB/100, and lower fluctuations, but the hands take longer, and I personally have trouble keeping track of dead cards at more than one table (heck, it's not cake to do it at one table for me.)