PDA

View Full Version : Chip Value

Cheeseweasel
10-20-2004, 12:04 PM
I'm a rank newbie. I've been playing poker for less than three months. I've gravitated towards the NLHE SNG STT's at Party Poker since, in my limited experience, they seem to offer me the best EV.
I would greatly appreciate comments on the following scenario. It is the first round of an NLHE SNG STT. I am in the big blind with KTs. There are two limpers behind me. I would most likely go all-in for the following reasons:
1) The binomial probability is .80 that my hand is better than both of the limpers.
2) From my limited experience, the probability is about .40 that one or both of the limpers will call my all-in.
Therefore, this appears to me to be a potentially high probability, high EV course of action.
However, in Mr. Sklansky's superb book Tournament Poker, he states that chips in the early part of a tournament are worth more than chips in the later part of a tournament. However, I would be audacious enough to respectfully disagree for the following reasons:
1) In light of hourly rate considerations, if I am going to be eliminated, I would rather be eliminated sooner than later so that I can start another tournament.
2) Using the example of a $20+$2 Party Poker 10-player SNG STT, each player gets 800 Tchip at the beginning of the tournament. The total prize money is $200 (1st-$100, 2nd-$60, 3rd-$40). Therefore, the initial 800 chips are worth $200/10 players=$20. $20/800 chips=$.025 per Tchip. Let's say that there are five players remaining in the tournament, each with an average 1600 Tchips. $200/5 players=$40. $40/1600 chips=$.025 per Tchip.

Please show me the error of my ways. Thank you for taking the time to read and respond to this missive.

eastbay
10-20-2004, 12:16 PM
I can't tell if this is a troll or genuine.

If it's genuine, your proposed play of pushing KTs over two limpers in level 1 is horrendously awful. Just terrible, atrocious, and idiotic.

I'm not going to dissect it in detail for you, but stop playing and start reading if you want to learn how to play these things for +EV. Probably start with Aleo Magus' guide.

That play risks far too much with far too little reward. It's big -$EV against anything other than completely random play.

eastbay

SmileyEH
10-20-2004, 12:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1) The binomial probability is .80 that my hand is better than both of the limpers.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are serious this is one of the funniest things I've ever read....If you are joking its only slightly funny.

EASY PUSH!!!

-SmileyEH