PDA

View Full Version : Troubles in PP microlimit

Belok
10-20-2004, 11:51 AM
Lurked here for a while and never really piped up because I was making about 8.5BB/100 on the 25NL boards. And sadly my first time posting here was responding to someone who took a mistake way out of proportion. So i'd like a new start, and if anybody could help me, I'd be grateful.

So I recently moved from 25NL, where i was very successful, to 1/2. I'm trying to train myself and move up in the limits, with a goal of about 5/10 in 1 or 2 years.

I've got the bankroll to manage the swings and all, but after 2908 hands, my total profit is -(3.95). Back in the day I would play .5/1 and make about 4BB/hr, and dont recall ever going 3k hands without anything to show for it.

At this point i dont know whether my play is bad, or if i've been getting cold cards. Do people go through 3000 hand dry streaks? Or does such a dry spell suggest my play is flawed? I've read multiple poker books including zen, supersystem, low limit hold'em, and recently Small Stakes Hold'em. I've been applying the principles of Small Stakes Hold'em to my game in 1/2.

I'll post my stats for analyzation.
VP$IP - 16.19
Folded SB to steal - 100
Folded BB to steal - 35
Saw flop all hands - 22.64 (i think this is high, but it is also including my play before i got small stakes hold'em i'm down to about 17 now)

Aggression Factor - Flop(1.29), Turn(1.84), River(1.94)
I think these are also low, But now that i've read SSH, I've been pushing these numbers up to about 3 or 4

As for whether or not I've just had a dry run, I'm still partially leaning toward yes.
Some hand stats on what should be the biggies(from a 3k sample)
AA - 8 times - Net 26.50 - BB/Hand 2.28
KK - 4 times - Net (1.50)- BB/Hand (0.19)
QQ - 15 times - Net 14.50 - BB/Hand .48
JJ - 11 times - Net 56.12 - BB/Hand 2.55 (HIGH)
AKs - 9 times - Net 5.75 - BB/Hand .32
AKo - 26 times - Net 14.50 - BB/Hand .28

I think the only number that isnt low here is JJ, and its so high because i won a 52$ pot with a gutshot to broadway (had the odds, dont worry)

If anybody has advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

Belok
10-20-2004, 12:04 PM
QQ is now 16 times, net gain 0.50
J8 hits quads against me...

GrunchCan
10-20-2004, 12:05 PM
Welcome to the forums.

Nothing jumps out. But it very well could be just a bad streak. And 3000 hands - minus the ones you played before SSH - just isn't nearly enough to reliably judge your stats.

Accumulate more hands. Maybe start a fresh database so there's not any pre-SSH junk in there to muck upo the numbers.

But more importantly, stop lurking and start posting. Post hands where you are unsure of the right play, or were surprised by the outcome, or anything you want feedback on. We're all here to learn, but you can't learn by lurking.

GrunchCan
10-20-2004, 12:09 PM
QQ is now 16 times, net gain 0.50
J8 hits quads against me...

You just can't let this kind of thing get to you. You are going to take a lot of bad beats. If it bothers you, and it affects your play, then that is a huge leak yoy have to contend with. Be grateful that J8 made quads against your overpair, becasue it only happens once in a great while. Meanwhile, over the long haul, your QQ vs J8 matchup will yield a big pile of chips.

Learn to deal with variance.

Quercus
10-20-2004, 12:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

As for whether or not I've just had a dry run, I'm still partially leaning toward yes.
Some hand stats on what should be the biggies(from a 3k sample)
AA - 8 times - Net 26.50 - BB/Hand 2.28
KK - 4 times - Net (1.50)- BB/Hand (0.19)
QQ - 15 times - Net 14.50 - BB/Hand .48
JJ - 11 times - Net 56.12 - BB/Hand 2.55 (HIGH)
AKs - 9 times - Net 5.75 - BB/Hand .32
AKo - 26 times - Net 14.50 - BB/Hand .28

[/ QUOTE ]

These numbers are meaningless and will remain so for many, many thousands and tens of thousands of hands.

I have 36,000 hands in my database, and KK is still outperforming AA.

If you want to use PT to help you, go to the Game Notes tab at the end of each session and sort by Net. Pick out the top winner and top loser of the day for you and analyze whether you played each one correctly. Then start picking a few hands in the middle.

Don't try to manage your stats, play correctly and they will manage themself.

Belok
10-20-2004, 12:18 PM
Heh thanks.
Yeah I only lurked before because i was confident enough with my play (in 25-50NL that is) that i didnt need help, but hadnt played long enough to consider myself qualified to give advice.
Now that i'm back to limit, After having a strong week of doing nothing but breaking even, I became very unsure and unconfident with my skills. And here i am /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bad beats dont get to me. After 6 months of 25-50NL on party poker, I can handle everything. I've read Zen and the art of Poker probably 4 times and I know how to control my emotions during the game. Just posted that to update my BB/hand on what should be a big winner.

Thank you for your advice, I'll post future hands that I have trouble with.

-Belok