PDA

View Full Version : Hand for review: Marginal Hand in BB vs Steal.

parappa
10-20-2004, 11:11 AM
Button min-raises a lot, and has been actively targeting my blinds.

Seat 7 is the button
Total number of players : 4
UTG ( 1835 )
Button (862)
SB(4528)
Hero (775 before posting, 575 after)
Blinds(100/200)
Hero has Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
UTG Folds, Button raises to 400. Small Blind folds.

wjmooner
10-20-2004, 11:17 AM
I guess the question is whether you think you would win over 50% of the time against him. Win and you are in, lose and you aren't. Tough situation.

If villian had been raising me constantly like you state I probably take a stand with this hand. You are only in bad trouble against a better queen or a pair, and it sure sounds like he could be raising with T9 or something like that.

WJ

unfrgvn
10-20-2004, 11:19 AM
This is tough because if you push he should probably call. He'll be getting a little better than 2:1 on his money so unless he thinks you would only push back with a premium pocket pair he's getting odds to call. On the other hand, if you fold you now have to post the SB and will have little fold equity on the next orbit. Unless you think one of the medium stacks is going to do something really stupid in the next orbit I think you have to make your stand here and hope to get lucky.

parappa
10-20-2004, 11:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I guess the question is whether you think you would win over 50% of the time against him. Win and you are in, lose and you aren't. Tough situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that much, right? The basic issue is whether I'm going to put 575 into a pot to win a 1550 pot, so I'm getting 975:575 or roughly 1.7:1. If I put him on one overcard and a card higher than 9, I've got to call. If he has 2 broadway I'm a 1.75:1 dog so I'm a bit short. If he has 88-22 I'm roughly a 9:11 dog, and forget about it if he has a pair higher than 8s or has me dominated.

I think I've got all that right.

tallstack
10-20-2004, 11:31 AM
This is a situation where I would go for a Stop-N-Go. The button only has you covered by a small margin so he would be crippled if he calls your flop bet. It would be hard for him to call on the flop here unless it hits his hand.

Dave S

Cleveland Guy
10-20-2004, 11:37 AM
I think you have to call. Next hand you only have 475 left. 5 more hands your down to 275. I don't think you are trying to limp into 3rd, so don't try and play the waiting game with the other short stack.

Bigger question - if he has been actively targeting your blinds, why haven't you fought back before this hand? Re-raise to his min raise to show you won't be pushed around, he will stop doing this so much.

wjmooner
10-20-2004, 11:38 AM
This is a situation where I don't think pot odds give you the answer, but that's just me. Here you are 4 handed. Win and you are in the money, lose and you aren't, thus you need to win 50% of the hands for this to be a good play.

Having said that, this doesn't mean I wouldn't call if I knew he had K4 or A2, I'm just saying that although pot odds are important they can't be the whole answer here because of the bubble situation.

Chris

unfrgvn
10-20-2004, 11:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This is a situation where I would go for a Stop-N-Go. The button only has you covered by a small margin so he would be crippled if he calls your flop bet. It would be hard for him to call on the flop here unless it hits his hand.

Dave S

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this idea. You get to act first so you should have some fold equity.

SmileyEH
10-20-2004, 12:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

This is a situation where I don't think pot odds give you the answer, but that's just me. Here you are 4 handed. Win and you are in the money, lose and you aren't, thus you need to win 50% of the hands for this to be a good play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand what you are trying to say, but this is horribly false. If I for example had JJ and two opponents of equal stacks had AK and TT went all in in front of me on the bubble this is the easiest call in the world - even though you have a less than 50% chance of winning, when you do win you have 1st or 2nd locked up.

Playing tourneys to get ITM is a surefire way of crippling your ROI.

-SmileyEH

parappa
10-20-2004, 01:21 PM
Well, I figured that I had to call based on pot odds and the fact that he was the other short stack, so the only real decision was whether to raise or not. I decided to call and do the stop-and-go for novelty reasons as much as anything else.

The flop came 3 /images/graemlins/club.gifJ /images/graemlins/diamond.gifA /images/graemlins/club.gif. I pushed, and he had an easy call with his A /images/graemlins/spade.gif4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. No luck for me and I'm out.

I'm still fairly happy with this; 2 months ago I would've folded it without a thought.

Cleveland Guy
10-20-2004, 01:22 PM
Just curious - how did you get so short stacked here? Was there a place earlier you could have stolen from? or re-stole your blind back?

parappa
10-20-2004, 01:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just curious - how did you get so short stacked here? Was there a place earlier you could have stolen from? or re-stole your blind back?

[/ QUOTE ]

Lost a big pot to UTG in the previous orbit. But I have historically ended up in this chip position pretty often...I've been attempting to solve it over the past month or so by learning to play post-flop, playing a lot of limit after reading SSH. I've been extremely happy at not getting short stacked as often, but it still happens.

betgo
10-21-2004, 09:14 AM
This isn't a resteal situation. There is no way you can get the button the fold. It may be a pot odds call or push. You are getting a little better than 3-2 on your money and Q6s may on average be less than a 3-2 dog.

Texas Pete
10-21-2004, 04:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Dave S

[/ QUOTE ]

OUTSTANDING. Yes. Stop 'n Go. Concur.