PDA

View Full Version : hand for review

Abu Turab
10-20-2004, 10:43 AM
No read on any of the players as I just posted.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif. Hero posts a blind of $2.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, Hero (poster) checks, Button folds, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (3 SB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (6 BB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls.

River: (14 BB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 14 BB

Wasn't sure about the flop raise and my river check.

Derek in NYC
10-20-2004, 10:55 AM
Bet the river for sure. Your hand is WAY good.

Also, I would have raised this preflop.

Abu Turab
10-20-2004, 11:06 AM
Why the raise w/ a Bway offsuite?

I was worried about him hitting the flush on the river hence the check back. I guess I assumed too much as the typical PP player would have led with the flush bet.

I will wait for a few more replies to post the outcome

Octopus
10-20-2004, 11:13 AM
I raise this and a lot of *much* worse hands pre-flop. First in as a late poster is almost always a raise (especially against opponents who don't know that about me). I'd raise this even if I wasn't a poster.

I'd go ahead and bet the river; if he had the boat he'd have kept betting. (I would just call a raise, though.)

Octopus
10-20-2004, 11:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why the raise w/ a Bway offsuite?

[/ QUOTE ]

To steal the blinds. To buy the button. Because if I was the button and I had a playable hand, I would raise you just because you didn't raise. Because KJo is better than average against a blind hand. Because almost anytime you are first in in late position you should raise or fold, and you are not folding here.

[ QUOTE ]
I was worried about him hitting the flush on the river hence the check back. I guess I assumed too much as the typical PP player would have led with the flush bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

The typical PP player would not have 3-bet both the flop and the turn with a draw. I am much more worried about a full house than I am the flush.

Abu Turab
10-20-2004, 12:08 PM
Thank you octo for your input. In the past I haven't raised when i have posted but will now try it. I guess I play the os Bway's a little too passive.

Here's the outcome:

BB wins with deuces full. I guess he felt I was on the flush draw and would bet it on the end.

Derek in NYC
10-20-2004, 12:40 PM
edited because i misread

HajiShirazu
10-20-2004, 12:59 PM
Man, the last four posts I have looked at have all included extremely passive (poor) preflop play. In general people need to raise more preflop and 3 bet more preflop. Because holdem, even full table holdem, is a game of initiative and position. And the best way to gain these is by raising preflop. People need to reread SSH, and perhaps also read the shorthanded forum a little about the value of aggression.
Anyway here, checking the option is especially bad. When it's folded to you and you post in the CO, and you're up against players who dont know you will do this, you probably should raise just about anything. The reason is of course that you are getting half price on your raise, a raise that will likely get you heads up with the blind(s) with position. Now, in a higher stakes game, where people will 3-bet your raise with marginal holdings knowing that you will do this, perhaps you can check with your worst hands, although you still should raise a majority of them.
With KJ you should open raise anyway. You likely have the best hand, you'd like to get it heads up against a random blind hand or take the blinds. What you don't want to have happen is you limp, then the button limps or raises, then the SB completes, and instead of playing a two way pot for 4.5 bets where you might have something like 60% equity, you're playing 4 ways for 4 or 8 bets with 30% equity.
Postflop I think you can call down when he 3-bets the turn. He has bet and raised at every opportunity indicating that he is likely full.