PDA

View Full Version : New algorithm for ranking colleges

felson
10-20-2004, 09:51 AM
A current AP story (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=519&e=19&u=/ap/college_rankings) describes a recent economics paper (http://post.economics.harvard.edu/faculty/hoxby/papers/revealedprefranking.pdf) that presents a new algorithm for ranking US colleges and universities. The algorithm uses data from incoming college freshmen. When a student chooses to attend Georgetown over Amherst or Brown, it is treated as a victory for Georgetown over the other schools. Then the authors use tournament-ranking algorithm similar to algorithm used to rank chess grandmasters.

The results look very much like the U.S. News rankings: the top five schools are Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Caltech, and MIT. The paper presents the top 100 schools, although the authors say that rankings below the top ten are less accurate due to the small number (3,000) of students polled.

The authors say that their method is superior to the U.S. News metric of (number of incoming freshmen)/(number of admitted students), because the U.S. News metric can be tampered with by college admissions departments. This is done by admitting less-qualified students who will likely be rejected by other top schools. These students will therefore be likely to accept the offer of admission.

The authors claim that this is actually occurring at some top schools. Page 6 of their paper features a humorous graph of (probability of admission) plotted versus (SAT score), shown for three schools. (It is debatable whether SAT score is a good indicator of ability, but let us set that aside for now.)

At MIT, the higher your score, the more likely you are to be admitted.

At Harvard, students at the 92nd percentile are just as likely to be admitted as students at the 98th percentile.

And at Princeton, students at the 92nd percentile are twice as likely to be admitted as students at the 98th percentile!

The authors conclude that Princeton indulges in "strategic admissions," and they indicate that Princeton is far from alone in this.

By the way, in the paper, Princeton ranked sixth.

scrub
10-20-2004, 05:45 PM
While I'm sure that all of the top tier colleges indulge in some attempts to manipulate the rankings, there's a much more sensible explanation for Princeton's numbers v. MIT and Harvard.

Princeton has a much smaller undergraduate class than Harvard and Yale, but maintains an athletic program of the same size. All of the top tier Ivy schools give atheletes and legacies a boost in their in the admissions process.

I was a walk on XC and track athelete, and some guys I knew got a pretty significant boost as far as standardized test scores went. Harvard and the rest of the Ivy schools do the same thing, as does Stanford. Princeton has a smaller pool of "normal" students to hide these admissions in, which lowers the overall demographic at Princeton more than it does at other top schools with DI athletics. It's one of the reasons Princeton decided to expand its class size over the next decade or so.

Sports aren't really a factor in the MIT admissions process.

That being said, all of these rankings are pretty much crap.

Princeton ends up at the top of the U.S. News rankings because the endowment is enormous relative to the undergraduate class size, not because the admissions office monkeys with the yield. For some reason US News weights the endowment to student ratio pretty highly when they do the rankings. Endowment to student ratio is as stupid a statistic as yield or some other metric of incoming frosh evaluation.

All of the top schools have strengths and all of the top schools have weaknesses and it's silly to try to come with some overall ranking.

scrub

Edit: I just read the AP story, and if the used data from high school students going through the process to calculate the probabilities instead of using overall demographic information about the classes, and they controlled for legacy and athletic ability, the my explanation is obviously wrong. My bad.

pokerjo22
10-20-2004, 05:47 PM
Is Princeton the clown college?

Neil Stevens
10-20-2004, 08:36 PM
Far be it from me to minimize the quality of service at Caltech, I think this metric gives the school an unfair advantage.

It has a very small undergraduate class to fill (only a few hundred), so even if it were less popular, it could still afford to be more selective because it can suffer a low success rate and still fill its quota.