PDA

View Full Version : BB - HU

imitation
10-20-2004, 09:28 AM
I want to know if its standard play to raise from the BB when someone limps in and the SB folds with mediocre holdings. Say K8, Q9, Ax, Axs, Kxs, Q7s style hands, assume the limper is a worse player than you and typically will be pushed off by your aggression. Is their merit to raising these hands?

I don't normally but today was playing some fairly tight 3/6 SH at stars (ASF was 33 and 34 respectively) with a lot of blind stealing/HU play. Hand which got me thinking was weak/tighty limps on the button SB folds and I raise K8o, I quickly note this guy hasn't been showing down without a hand and figure taking the lead, though out of position will give me alot more leverage. Results oriented I led the A high flop and get a fold, I used this technique a few times on this player and it netted me most of the hands and made it easy to get away if he bit back.

Anyway discuss. I'm just hoping this isn't an obvious skill which i've been lacking...also I don't suppose theres much use for it with multiple limpers, so I suppose its not a skill i'll get used to employing at party /images/graemlins/wink.gif

fnord_too
10-20-2004, 09:44 AM
I will play at people from th BB occasionally. I think it is +EV when used in moderation, the fact that there are 2.5 sb in the pot HU is enough to warrant some aggression, I think. Of course, this is a player dependant move. I think you need to do things like this and check, check raise the flop occasionally. It keeps poeple off balance and makes them more hesitant to play your blinds and try to run over you.

imitation
10-20-2004, 09:56 AM
Yeh well I guess i'm considering this as a logical play against weak/tighties or even loose/passive players who aren't calling stations.

Scotch78
10-20-2004, 10:15 AM
Not an area I know a ton about, but it does seem pretty standard.

Scott

Grisgra
10-20-2004, 11:31 AM
I agree, too many weakies are open-limping on the button there with stuff like T8s instead of going for a steal -- a raise from the BB is almost guaranteed to give you the pot if they miss the flop or if there's an ace on the flop. I think that it's a good play in those situations.

Of course, you need to make sure it's not a loose calling-station that will make you bet to the river, as someone else said.