PDA

View Full Version : controversial 55 up for discussion

DrGutshot
10-20-2004, 04:37 AM
Late night rally, this player just sat at the table, so no reads.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 4 handed)

Preflop: DrG is Button with 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif. UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">DrG raises</font>, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, DrG calls.

Flop: (6.40 SB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">DrG raises</font>, UTG calls.

Turn: (5.20 BB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">DrG bets</font>

-DrG

Scotch78
10-20-2004, 04:54 AM
Looks more like overcards than an overpair at the moment. I'd fold to a raise, maybe even a river bet, but your turn bet looks good. Consider checking the river though, as he might not call with anything you can beat.

Scott

random
10-20-2004, 06:11 AM
Did you three-bet yourself preflop? Now that is controversial. Other than you reraising yourself, what's controversial? Do not check the river unless an ace comes.

rory
10-20-2004, 11:06 AM
My usual plan in these situations is to just call the whole way unless the board comes with high cards. I lose the least when I am behind and either win slightly less or more than I would by taking the more aggressive line depending on if he bluffs the river with overcards. Also I don't get outplayed by him, say, raising the turn on a semi-bluff. This call-call-call line is especially good if you are multitabling because it requires no thought. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I think of the section in HPFAP where he talks about playing QQ vs a only AA, KK or AK capper. If he is betting into you you should just call if there is no A or K on the board. If you raise you will lose the most to his AA or KK, but if you just call he may bet his AK unimproved the whole way. This is like that except way more hands are beating you. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

kiddo
10-20-2004, 11:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think of the section in HPFAP where he talks about playing QQ vs a only AA, KK or AK capper. If he is betting into you you should just call if there is no A or K on the board. If you raise you will lose the most to his AA or KK, but if you just call he may bet his AK unimproved the whole way. This is like that except way more hands are beating you.

[/ QUOTE ]

No it isnt because he can have a lot of hands and most of those hands are behind your pair. You are letting him draw cheaper then you should. Raise flop or turn.

This move - calling if he bets - should be done when overcards cant hurt you, like when you raise A5s and SB 3bet and flop comes A high and no draws. If he is ahead he will be ahead all hand, if he is behind he will be behind all hand. Call as long as he is betting.

DrGutshot
10-20-2004, 12:17 PM
sorry, I missed part of the conversion, UTG on the flop=BB

DrGutshot
10-20-2004, 02:27 PM
BB folded to my turn bet. Just wanted to know if you guys thought this was the best line, or what line you would have taken. Thx for replies all.

-DrG

MEbenhoe
10-20-2004, 02:58 PM
seems pretty standard. nice hand.

Grisgra
10-20-2004, 03:01 PM
I think we all agree that the only thing controversial about this hand is the way you 3-bet yourself /images/graemlins/smile.gif.