PDA

View Full Version : 1st Hand Post, AQ turn choice

Shillx
10-20-2004, 04:09 AM
This is my 1st post on here, I hope it turns out okay.
I thought this hand was rather interesting, but some feedback would be appreciated to make better posts in the future.

Anyway, UTG+1 and MP3 are fairly LAGish (25/10 each) and the blinds are total fish (60%+ VP$IP). Right now I am a 11/5, as some of you may know.

I hate coldcalling preflop, but this seemed like one of the rare times it made sense. MP3's 3-betting range is prob. JJ+ and AK.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em - Bad Beat (10 handed)

Preflop: Shillx is MP1 with Qs, As.
UTG folds, UTG+1 raises, UTG+2 folds, Shillx calls, MP2 folds, MP3 3-bets, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, Shillx calls.

Okay coldcall, or should this goto the muck?

Flop: (15 SB) Td, Qd, 6s (5 players)
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 bets, Shillx raises, MP3 3-bets, SB calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, Shillx calls.

The SB/BB coldcalls could be anything, most likely gutshots or small pairs.

Turn: (15 BB) 8h (5 players)
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 bets, Shillx...

Any and all comments are appreciated.

Brad

thirddan
10-20-2004, 06:55 AM
Preflop: with a hand that is good, but not really good against a legit raise (25/10 is not that crazy at all) i really don't want to be the first to cold call. I would probably dump it cuz i tend to err on the side of caution in these circumstances maybe passing up a small amount of EV here, but i don't think a 3bet is out of line either. Obviously once you coldcall you call the 3bet...

Flop: ok
Turn: hmm, I think you can raise and fold to a 3bet from MP3. But if MP3 folds or just calls i would call down. Maybe its better to just call and fold to a raise? I really don't know /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Octopus
10-20-2004, 10:48 AM
Against a 10% pre-flop raiser I am happy to play AQs; the only question is whether to 3-bet. I think it is close either way.

Flop looks fine.

Turn: Ugh. You may be drawing dead, may be drawing to two outs, or may be hoping to dodge a diamond (and who knows what else) to split the pot with UTG+1. I think I would call and fold if it is 2 more back to me, but the way this hand is going it probably will be at least one back to me and that would not make me happy. Folding is not out of the question. (I do not think raising is helpful. The pot is so big that I don't think I can fold to a 3-bet.)

Shillx
10-20-2004, 02:36 PM
A 3-bet PF with AQs against an UTG+1 raiser seems pretty reckless to me, but then again I might just be playing too tight.

As for the turn, I was looking for either an ace, queen or spade and didn't find any of them /images/graemlins/mad.gif. I was also thrown off a bit by UTG+1's stop and go. If he has any hand that beats me you would think he would cap the flop and then lead the turn. It is also real hard to think that 8 helped him in any way, but with the blinds dumping in so much dead money I almost felt temped to call.

Thank you for the insight,
Brad

Bob T.
10-20-2004, 02:45 PM
UTG+1 and MP3 are fairly LAGish (25/10 each)

I hate coldcalling preflop, but this seemed like one of the rare times it made sense.

Okay coldcall, or should this goto the muck?

How about threebetting then?

By the turn, the pot is big, I don't think you are going away just yet. Calling is OK, and I think raising might be too aggressive given all the activity that has happened so far.

Jonny Melon
10-20-2004, 03:46 PM
I seem to be in the minority here, but I 3-bet this pre-flop every time against someone who raises 10% of the time pre-flop. I'm surprised that people think this is even close.

This is a pretty good flop for you, and you played it fine.

The turn card is not good, and there were a lot of cards that would have helped you here, but I think you have to call in this nice pot, although you may only be on a 2-outer at this stage.. If MP3 raises and UTG+1 3-bets it's time to go. I do not like raising in this situation.

Jon