PDA

View Full Version : 99 vs. no aggression

ArchonsEngine
10-20-2004, 03:22 AM
No real reads beyond what I use in the names--I've been at the table for fewer than 20 hands. Is this a clear value bet or should I just close the action and check behind, since there are two overcards to my pocket pair?

To be honest, I may be double-guessing myself because it's my first night at 1/2, but I think I played it correctly.

As always, thanks for the help. I wouldn't have made it to 1/2 without the help I've gotten here. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

--ArchonsEngine

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG <font color="purple">(L-P)</font> calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls, BB <font color="purple">(T-P)</font> calls, UTG <font color="purple">(L-P)</font> calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, T-P checks, L-P checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, T-P calls, L-P calls.

Turn: (6 BB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, T-P checks, L-P checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, T-P calls, L-P calls.

River: (10 BB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, T-P checks, L-P checks, Hero ???

Fiddler
10-20-2004, 06:36 AM
I have a hard time imagining that anyone will call a river-bet with anything that doesn't beat you so I would check. On the other hand I am constantly giving PP players too much credit. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

ArchonsEngine
10-20-2004, 06:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have a hard time imagining that anyone will call a river-bet with anything that doesn't beat you so I would check.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was my first thought. Also, do I really want to be in the position of having to face a c/r?

[ QUOTE ]
On the other hand I am constantly giving PP players too much credit. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

This, of course, was my second thought. Though a c/r would suck, there's a reasonable chance my hand is best, and so maybe I should fire a final shot at them as a value bet.

I'll post what I did and the results tomorrow. Thanks for the input.

--ArchonsEngine

HajiShirazu
10-20-2004, 09:25 AM
I would always take the free showdown here. It's not in your best interests for any additional money to go in the pot on this street.

LaggyLou
10-20-2004, 09:47 AM
Against 4 players? Call it weak, but I'm checking behind. I see very few reasonable holdings by 4 players that betting is +EV against.

ArchonsEngine
10-20-2004, 04:11 PM
As promised, here are the results. I was pretty happy with checking down, but really doubted I was beaten before the river. Given that, not many would stay in just hoping to catch a queen. I was expecting 2 or 3 busted flush draws, and on a free showdown, they could reasonably have anything and be calling correctly.

As it goes, though, MHIG. Apparently, I had the perfect set of opponents riding along with me--one on a busted flush draw that didn't bet/raise anywhere, one sticking around with a middle pair that just gets weaker, and one hoping to spike an ace.

Betting probably wouldn't have done much, because the busted flush and ace-high almost certainly would've folded. Mr. Pair-Of-Fives might've tossed in another out of fishiness, but I wouldn't count on it, so I feel good about this now.

Thanks for letting me know that this was a check behind situation.

--ArchonsEngine

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG <font color="purple">(L-P)</font> calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls, BB <font color="purple">(T-P)</font> calls, UTG <font color="purple">(L-P)</font> calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>

Turn: (6 BB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>

River: (10 BB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, T-P checks, L-P checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 10 BB

Results below:
SB has 5c Jh (one pair, fives).
T-P has Ts 7s (one pair, sevens).
L-P has Ad 8d (high card, ace).
Hero has 9h 9s (one pair, nines).
Outcome: Hero wins 10 BB.

meep_42
10-20-2004, 04:15 PM
Didn't see this yesterday, but I wanted to toss out a, "nice hand."

Checking behind is the right call here, you'll only get money out of a weak K or scared Q, which beat you.

-d