PDA

View Full Version : And the STFU award goes to...

nothumb
10-20-2004, 02:18 AM
Joe Torre.

Post game interview, complaining about the A-Rod call. Says that Arroyo was also in motion??? WTF, this isn't basketball, it wasn't a charging call. And claims Mientkewicz was obstructing the base-runner.

Seriously, Joe, you have more class than that. As for A-Rod... talk about a player showing his true colors. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

NT

Schaefer
10-20-2004, 03:14 AM
I'd give it to A-Rod. Standing on second kicking and screaming like a 2-year-old child. Denying the fact that he gave a Bruce Lee karate chop to Arroyo's arm. Not just denying it. VEHEMENTLY denying it. What a little punk. STFU A-ROD!

Schaefer

NLSoldier
10-20-2004, 03:19 AM
Can i give it to binions.....for his thread about pokerstars lack of burn cards in the Poker Theory forum.

nothumb
10-20-2004, 03:27 AM
Bruce Lee karate chop, my ass. It was more of a Paris Hilton arm-flail at a drunken Shannen Doherty.

I was not starting a debate, by the way. The STFU award goes to Torre. A-Rod should be expected to make such an imbecilic spectacle. Torre used to stand for something.

NT

GuyOnTilt
10-20-2004, 03:35 AM
I'd give it to A-Rod. Standing on second kicking and screaming like a 2-year-old child. Denying the fact that he gave a Bruce Lee karate chop to Arroyo's arm. Not just denying it. VEHEMENTLY denying it. What a little punk. STFU A-ROD!

Honestly, you guys are really over-reacting about this. You have no clue what it was Arod was arguing about out there on the infield. Depending on what the umpires were telling him on the field at the time, he (and Torre) may have had very legitimate reasons to be out there for so long arguing. The call at the time of the play should obviously be the 1B Umpire's, and his call was that there was no interference. Unless they were telling Torre and Arod the reason for a reversal was that the 1B Umpire's view was obstructed, or that he was somehow unaware of that part of the rulebook and didn't understand the rules regarding such situations, they should most definitely be out there throwing a fit. If the umpire who was 5 feet away had an unobstructed view of the play and is aware of the rules, there's absolutely no reason for a judgement call to be reversed because a few other umpires who are over 60 feet away say they saw things differently.

But since none of you guys know what the dialogue on the infield was during those minutes, you really should shut up about all this. Arod tried to knock a tag loose and make it look like he didn't. So what. When a middle infielder makes a phantom tag on a runner sliding into second and they come up glove raised, does that make them a dirty player for intentionally trying to deceive the umpire? Of course not. The guy was trying to do everything he could to put his team into a postion to come back late in the game. He was playing hard, aggressive baseball which resulted in him making that split-second decision. I don't fault him any more than if he had decided to run the pitcher over with his body in an attempt to break up the play. And I certainly am not going to call him names and accuse him of being a dirty player.

GoT

NLSoldier
10-20-2004, 03:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Honestly, you guys are really over-reacting about this. You have no clue what it was Arod was arguing about out there on the infield. Depending on what the umpires were telling him on the field at the time, he (and Torre) may have had very legitimate reasons to be out there for so long arguing. The call at the time of the play should obviously be the 1B Umpire's, and his call was that there was no interference. Unless they were telling Torre and Arod the reason for a reversal was that the 1B Umpire's view was obstructed, or that he was somehow unaware of that part of the rulebook and didn't understand the rules regarding such situations, they should most definitely be out there throwing a fit. If the umpire who was 5 feet away had an unobstructed view of the play and is aware of the rules, there's absolutely no reason for a judgement call to be reversed because a few other umpires who are over 60 feet away say they saw things differently.

But since none of you guys know what the dialogue on the infield was during those minutes, you really should shut up about all this. Arod tried to knock a tag loose and make it look like he didn't. So what. When a middle infielder makes a phantom tag on a runner sliding into second and they come up glove raised, does that make them a dirty player for intentionally trying to deceive the umpire? Of course not. The guy was trying to do everything he could to put his team into a postion to come back late in the game. He was playing hard, aggressive baseball which resulted in him making that split-second decision. I don't fault him any more than if he had decided to run the pitcher over with his body in an attempt to break up the play. And I certainly am not going to call him names and accuse him of being a dirty player.

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

This looks like another vote for Binions to me /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Schaefer
10-20-2004, 03:48 AM
Honestly, I may have done the same thing in that situation...tried to knock the ball out of whomever's glove that was trying to tag me. And I probably would have argued about it in the heat of the moment. The reason whay I'm pissed about it is because of how much he still carried on, pleading his case after the game was over.

Now....I may be just a little bit biased here in Seattle. But it wasn't the aggressive act in the heat of the moment that pisses me off. You're right...even on second base I guess I'd be arguing too. However, it's how he acts afterward that is indefensible IMO.

But you're right about another thing. It is time to let this die and stop taking away from what Curt and the whole Red Sox team have done. Sorry for exacerbating the situation.

Schaefer