PDA

View Full Version : AKs against a passive player playing aggressively

Quercus
10-20-2004, 01:52 AM
Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP2 <font color="purple">(sL-P)</font> raises</font>, MP3 folds, CO calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB folds, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">MP2 <font color="purple">(sL-P)</font> caps</font>, CO calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (13.50 SB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">sL-P bets</font>, CO calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">sL-P 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, sL-P calls.

(Converter missed it, but CO went all in on the flop. Let me know if you want the hand history file, Bison).

Turn: (11.25 BB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
sL-P checks, Hero checks.

Standard as they come

btspider
10-20-2004, 09:25 AM
The turn check is easy, so the only question becomes the flop cap. Will this opponent not bet the turn with QQ+ if you cap? The cap is a little -EV, so you need the extra small bet you put in to be made up by the likelihood of earning a free card.

A little algebra and guesswork on your opponent's holdings should give you what % of the time the free card must succeed for this to be profitable.. but at the table you just need to decide if he'll bet QQ+ consistently.

I've seen enough seemingly typical or passive players go nuts when they hold a big overpair on a small rank flop that I would tend to just call the 3-bet.

If you hit the K on the turn or river, I'm not sure if you can raise, but perhaps I'm being too quick to put him on a big pair.

runa
10-20-2004, 12:18 PM
This is certainly an overpair given the combination of PF and post flop play. If it were anyone other than a passive player I wouldn't hesitate capping the flop since I fully expect a passive player to blindly click and lead the turn (having shown so much aggression thus far), but I like the fact that your flop aggression hides the nature of your hand.

Standard.

Quercus
10-20-2004, 12:30 PM
River card comes Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif and sL-P inexplicably bets into me and is disheartened to see her KK overthrown.

btspider
10-20-2004, 12:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
River card comes Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif and sL-P inexplicably bets into me and is disheartened to see her KK overthrown.

[/ QUOTE ]

inexplicably? that river bet is to be expected on anything but an Ace.

[ QUOTE ]
I like the fact that your flop aggression hides the nature of your hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

it has that effect but this is perhaps the 7th or 8th most important thing to consider when making this play. your opponent is going to showdown so their is no need to consider deception when choosing your play.

Quercus
10-20-2004, 01:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

inexplicably? that river bet is to be expected on anything but an Ace.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right - I expect too much.

HajiShirazu
10-20-2004, 02:13 PM
I believe the AK is a favorite over QQ with no hearts on this flop. A slight dog against KK and of course 35% against aces.
Anyway, nice hand.