PDA

View Full Version : I'm thinking I'll leave chat on for awhile...

Cerril
10-20-2004, 01:37 AM
So I was sitting in a game with a 2+2er and a couple others with TA-ish stats, figured I'd stick around to get a little practice learning how to play against better quality players. Specifically, I wanted to see if I could exploit a tighter-than-ideal table.

My success in that is best left to the imagination but I got some decent practice and noticed something interesting. A bit into the session when I spotted a familiar name, I flipped on the chat window to see if I'd hear anything interesting.

Couple hands in a player takes a bad beat with a bad hand (44 v JJ on an xxx4J board) and just starts railing at the winner. I'm about to flip it off but then I get an idea and flip on all of my chat boxes and start taking notes...

It's pretty self evident once I thought about it, but leaving the chat on is a great way to find the people who are a) capable of making 'tough laydowns' or just tight in general, and thus easier to beat, and b) the ones prone to going on (or already on) violent tilt. Far from foolproof, but for my pain I was able to brazenly steal some pots I normally wouldn't have even touched.

Thought provoking to me, at least.

IndieMatty
10-20-2004, 01:21 PM
Theres no reason to turn it off. Why does anyone do this? You can gain some very valuable information.

shant
10-20-2004, 01:23 PM
I think I was at that table. Last night? 2/4?

Bob T.
10-20-2004, 01:33 PM
Theres no reason to turn it off. Why does anyone do this? You can gain some very valuable information.

I agree.