PDA

View Full Version : QJs in the big blind

cold_cash
10-20-2004, 12:58 AM
I'd just sat down and posted. Both opponents were unknown to me.

I'm blaming my bad pre-flop play on the fact that the ballgame was coming down to the wire and I obviously wasn't focusing enough attention on the poker. Aside from that, how does this look?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. UTG posts a blind of $2.
<font color="666666">5 folds</font>, Button calls, Hero calls, UTG (poster) checks.

Flop: (3 SB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, Button calls.

River: (10.50 BB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds, Button calls.

Final Pot: 12.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 12.50 BB, between Button, SB and Hero.</font>

I don't know if this hand has any posting value whatsoever, but after it was over there were a few snide remarks from the other players at the table. They didn't bother me, just made me wonder if there was more to this hand than I suspected while I played it.

Fnord
10-20-2004, 01:05 AM
Alright, so UTG is an idiot and the button has trash he's too lame to fold.

Why not 3-bet the flop?
What hand do you think UTG/Button had? Why continue with the turn raise after the 9 paired? Would you fold to a 3-bet?

cold_cash
10-20-2004, 01:08 AM
I wanted to put more pressure on UTG, so that's why I didn't raise the flop.

If I get 3-bet on the turn, I'm folding.

sthief09
10-20-2004, 01:35 AM
I bet that if you had AQ you would've 3-bet the flop so he wouldn't take a free card against you, so I don't understnad the check raise with TPGK

BottlesOf
10-20-2004, 02:04 AM
3 bet the flop.

stinkypete
10-20-2004, 02:09 AM
i'd raise preflop (if i read that hand right).

why is UTG acting last?

cold_cash
10-20-2004, 02:12 AM
Am I putting too much importance on making it as difficult as possible for UTG to continue with his hand? That was the primary goal behind the check-raise, but it's looking like it wasn't the right play.

sthief09
10-20-2004, 02:26 AM
yes. as often as you will give UTG insufficient drawing odds while he's holding a gut shot, you'll give 2 players with worse hands and lots of outs a free river card. then on the turn, you're hoping he either has a Q or a draw. if he has a draw he'll check, and if he has a Q it's probably better than yours.