PDA

View Full Version : Two Amazing Things About the Yankees/Red Sox Series

andyfox
10-20-2004, 12:19 AM
1) If the Sox win tomorrow, it will be the greatest comeback in baseball history (and it isn't close): giving up 19 runs in game 3 to fall behind 3 love, and behind in the 9th inning of game 4, they win two consecutive extra innings games and take it to game 7.

2) 1048 views and 321 posts on a poker forum about a baseball game just before the game ended.

Anyway, in the poll, I picked the Yankees in 7, figuring they'd have a hard time with Schilling tonight, given that they had already gone eight consecutive innings without scoring last night. I'm right on so far. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Is Brown or Vasquez pitching tomorrow?

ThaSaltCracka
10-20-2004, 12:21 AM
the game yesterday was the same way.

Damnit I really wanted them to pull it out tonight, but Schilling gave one hell of a performance. What a game and what a series. I can't believe I literally almost won a sweep bet.

ThaSaltCracka
10-20-2004, 12:23 AM
I honestly didn't think there was a rivalry here, but after the past two years, wow... this is intense.

Quite possibly some of the best games I have ever seen.

Toro
10-20-2004, 12:24 AM
I think Brown is starting but they'll probably use both. What did you think of the Arod play? A lot of the 2+2ers thought it was a dirty play and some said it was cheating and some said he would be suspended.

I didn't think it was any of those things. I think it was just a reflex action and the worst that I could say about him is that it wasn't smart play since Jeter ended up back on first.

Ryner
10-20-2004, 12:28 AM
It wouldn't just be the greatest comeback is baseball history, it'd be the greatest comeback in the history of the universe. Plus, considering all the side stories involved with the Sox, and the way they won games 4 and 5... I think, if they pull it out, if might be the single greatest event in the history of sports.

bwana devil
10-20-2004, 12:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I honestly didn't think there was a rivalry here

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you kidding?? I know youre young but anybody who follows any kind of baseball knows the history of the rivalry.

And didnt you go over the number of posts allowed per week about six days ago?

You may want to start your own bulletin board if you keep this up.

bwana devil
10-20-2004, 12:40 AM
I originally pegged the Sox in 6 but after game 1 loss I changed my idea to yankees in 7. I think that will be right but would love to be wrong.

Being a Sox fan has taught to be a pessimist and be surprised if they win.....oh wait I never have to be surprised.

Zeno
10-20-2004, 12:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Is Brown or Vasquez pitching tomorrow?

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't matter. The Red Sox will win. A non-fan is rooting for them so History will be made tomorrow. Place your bets now. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

-Zeno

ThaSaltCracka
10-20-2004, 12:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you kidding?? I know youre young but anybody who follows any kind of baseball knows the history of the rivalry.

[/ QUOTE ] The rivalry is something the media created to increase ratings. There is also some hatred between fans, but between the actual teams.... I don't buy it, other than everyone seems to hate AROD, but thats nothing new.

Losing all
10-20-2004, 12:50 AM
Once the world series starts this will get pushed aside, but if you ask me about the 04' season 10 years from now BOS/NY will be the first thing that pops into my head.

This has been an amazing rollercoaster of emotions for all serious baseball fans. Tomorrow IS the world series in my opinion.

May the best team win.

andyfox
10-20-2004, 12:53 AM
The rivalry was at its zenith in 1948-1949 (when former Yankee great Joe McCarthy was managing the Sox), and 1977-1978, when the Don Zimmer-led Sox won 197 games, yet finished second both years (in the days before the wild card). It was moribund for a while as the Yankees didn't play any post-season ball after 1981 until 1995. It's really blossomed big time since 1999. I think the smaller divisions and the fact that the two teams have finished one-two for, what is it, six years in a row now, have played a part.

Losing all
10-20-2004, 12:54 AM
The media, Are you freakin kidding me? These teams have been beating each others brains in for 100 years (granted, with the Yankees coming out on top almost every time). That little arod/Varitek fight was nothing.

andyfox
10-20-2004, 12:55 AM
Agree on the A-Rod play. He used an open hand to swipe at the glove, not a karate chop at the arm.

andyfox
10-20-2004, 12:56 AM
Joe Torre says he believes in momentum in short series. I don't, but if there is such a thing, it's evident which team has it.

ThaSaltCracka
10-20-2004, 12:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The media, Are you freakin kidding me? These teams have been beating each others brains in for 100 years (granted, with the Yankees coming out on top almost every time). That little arod/Varitek fight was nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

go review your history. The yankees had a long drought of mediocrity from roughly 1980 to 1994. The media has totally blown this whole thing out of proportion.

andyfox
10-20-2004, 12:58 AM
Funny thing. I've been pessimistic the last few nights, but I like the Yankees tomorrow. I guess it doesn't matter who starts for the Yankees as Torre will hve a quick hook and follow one with the other, and with El Duque thrown in for good measure.

The only worry I have is that with Gordon looking bad, Torre might be tempted to put Rivera in to start the 8th again, and at age 34, throwing 93 instead of 97, it's often a mistake, and shows itself as one in the second inning of work.

But hopefully we'll score eight in the bottom of the first and then slowly pull away. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

andyfox
10-20-2004, 01:00 AM
I think people will remember this series more than the World Series, I agree, unless there are equally fantastic happenings in the World Series. When thinking about 2003, most people remember game 7 of the Yankees/Sox series first, game 7 of the Florida/Cubs series second, and then the World Series.

bwana devil
10-20-2004, 01:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The rivalry was at its zenith in 1948-1949 (when former Yankee great Joe McCarthy was managing the Sox)

[/ QUOTE ]

well, that was before my time. I do remember something of the 78 infamous tie breaker game.

When I was a kid, maybe seven years old I went to a friend's house and he had a bunch of baseball team logo stickers. He told me I could pick one. He didnt have the sox so I took a Yankees' sticker home and proudly showed my dad since I knew he liked baseball.

I wouldnt say I got in trouble, but it kind of felt that way at the time. I got lectured and he sat me down and explained to why I should hate the yankees. It has stuck ever since.

Losing all
10-20-2004, 01:03 AM
I don't need to review sh!t, I was around then. Do you think it can't be a rivalry unless it's between great playoff teams? These teams could be 61-100/61-100 on the last day of the year and they'd fight like hell to beat each other.

ThaSaltCracka
10-20-2004, 01:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't need to review sh!t, I was around then. Do you think it can't be a rivalry unless it's between great playoff teams? These teams could be 61-100/61-100 on the last day of the year and they'd fight like hell to beat each other.

[/ QUOTE ]

no.... the media would blow it up and the fans would act like idiots over a meaningless game. But in fact the players could really give a [censored], they are just playing another team.

bwana devil
10-20-2004, 01:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
go review your history

[/ QUOTE ]

you do know who Babe Ruth is, right?

ThaSaltCracka
10-20-2004, 01:09 AM
yeah this fat dude that played well before any of these current players were born. Whats your point, other than to strengthen my argument that the media and fans blow this up more than anyone else.

Losing all
10-20-2004, 01:09 AM
You're wrong, and the game wouldn't be meaningles to a real fan.

ThaSaltCracka
10-20-2004, 01:15 AM
a game between two last place teams is meaningless to the players. You really need to realize that they play for themselves and their teamates and not for you or any fan. Any athlete that says they play for fans is full of [censored].

bwana devil
10-20-2004, 01:15 AM
Sure other than the media, fans and players there really isn't a rivalry. good point.

'41 DiMaggio gets MVP. the same year Williams hit +.400
'76 Pinella barrels into Fisk at the plate. Bill Lee breaks his collar bone in the following fight.

ssssh. quiet cracka while some people might think you know what you're talking about.

ThaSaltCracka
10-20-2004, 01:21 AM
your posts are nonsensical.

Do any of those players play on the team right now? No matter how hard you or the media or other fans want to make it a rivalry, its irrelavent. The players make it a rivalry. The M's had a real rivalry with the Yankees for about 2-3 years because everytime they had a series, there was always beanings and brawls. THATS A RIVALRY, because the players actually hated each other. What you are saying is completely irrelavent to the players.

Losing all
10-20-2004, 01:23 AM
That's the thing, there is no meaningless red sox/Yankeee game to the people in Boston or New York.

And the players might not give 2 fuks about the fans, but they hate the other side anyways.

ThaSaltCracka
10-20-2004, 01:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That's the thing, there is no meaningless red sox/Yankeee game to the people in Boston or New York.

[/ QUOTE ]
Precisely and I agree with you, but my point is that the media and fans are the ones making a mole hill into a mountain. I realize that NY fans hate the sox and vice versa but this does not neccesarily translate over to the players, and that is my point. I did say though that something is brewing here between these two teams, especially with GAY-ROD.